Review by thaservices1 -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Review by thaservices1 -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by thaservices1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can I Be Frank
By Rob Wyatt

Can I Be Frank is a humorous novel following the adventures of Father Francis Gold as he takes his first parish assignment in America. Coming from Britain, American culture catches Father Frank quite by surprise. With the help of his boss, Father Willliam, local Mopar and Budweiser lover, Frank manages to make an enemy of the town's 'owner' Gene Charmois. His wife, Carly Charmois, however, takes a bit too much of an interest in the young priest, adding to an increasingly uncomfortable situation.

Father Frank finds himself on more of an adventure than he ever expected, battling Florida 'firey ants', powerful American muscle cars, alien abduction, vicious rumors, and the mother of all hangovers. Aided by the power of prayer and Martha, the prim Parish Administrator, he sets out to take on the town bully, Charmois.

Rob Wyatt is a great writer. His characters are well written and loads of fun. Father Frank is a wonderful bit of work, all clumsy innocence and goodwill. The English to English language barrier is a constant source of humor. The chicken salad and chips lunch order scene was just too funny.

The story, even touching on serious matters, is always lighthearted. I enjoyed the book quite a bit. It made me laugh many times. I especially loved the Father's first driving fiasco, his first battle with the dreaded pizza, and his alien encounter. The Bible quotes at the beginning of each chapter are priceless. I can imagine the author reading his scriptures and saying 'AH HA! That'll fit perfect!'

The book is full of witty dialogue and a moderate dose of innuendo. It reminded me strongly of television Brit-coms and was every bit as enjoyable. I feel this novel could translate quite well to the stage or screen. I was pleasantly surprised when Charmois unleashed his vicious rumor. The novel having been set in the mid 90's, I was expecting something harsh, but again the author showed his talent at keeping the story fun.

I give Can I Be Frank a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It is a fun read, but I wish it had been longer. It wrapped up short of what I thought would be a major part of the story. I would recommend this book to any fan of comedy. Its religious theme is no barrier to humor and I doubt that it would be offensive to most readers. It has more of a feel of 'laughing with' rather than 'laughing at'. A big thumbs up to the editing, this is the first book I've reviewed that I have found zero errors. The English spelling of certain words threw me at first, but those spellings are consistent throughout the book.

Can I Be Frank?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like thaservices1's review? Post a comment saying so!
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review! It seems like a great read, and I am glad you enjoyed it!
thaservices1
Currently Reading:

Post by thaservices1 »

gen_g wrote: 23 May 2018, 08:54 Thanks for the detailed review! It seems like a great read, and I am glad you enjoyed it!
Thank you for the compliment. It truely is a fun read, very lighthearted.
- Roosevelt
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I like the fact that each chapter begins with a Bible quote. This makes the reader eager to know more about the content of the chapter making the book more interesting. Thanks for the review.
thaservices1
Currently Reading:

Post by thaservices1 »

Thank you for the reply. I agree the Bible quotes were a great addition. The author put a lot of thought into those selections.
- Roosevelt
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I also read and liked this book. I thought your review was spot-on.
thaservices1
Currently Reading:

Post by thaservices1 »

Thank you dtb! :)
- Roosevelt

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”