Review by holsam_87 -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by holsam_87 -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by holsam_87 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway 2" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman is the second book in the trilogy. It continues to follow Alex Fine and show how he handles his abilities. However, it is because of his decisions in young adulthood that will affect him in gruesome ways later on. It will take big changes for him to turn around his life, and even though he takes a chance to be happy for once, karma comes back and leaves him pretty much at square one once again.

The first thing to consider before reading this book is that it is not being read out of order. Events that occur are building off what happened in the first book. The action is just as good as before, and time goes far more quickly because there is a big time skip which leads into more troubles for Alex. I can understand why the time skip was needed, mainly because events were pretty scrambled from Alex’s point of view.

This book definitely falls under Science fiction, Action, and some Romance is sprinkled in as well. I still say that I get Matrix vibes from this series due to the use of electric teleportation. Fans of that movie series might want to give this series a shot. It would be worth a look for sure.

Things I didn’t enjoy are the prevalence of drug abuse, sex, and partying once again. It just shows that it is acceptable to do this behavior when large amounts of money are in the equation, which is totally unacceptable and deplorable. It seems to stem from Alex’s tendency to act like he’s invincible and that makes him pretty arrogant from my perspective of him. He also doesn’t seem to react normally to tragedy and grief, but that appears to stem from his tumultuous childhood, despite his connection with Ms. Jenkins.

The cover art looks pretty similar to this book’s predecessor, but it still looks a lot like how information would be transferred via the internet. At first look, I would say that this is a well-edited book, but there are over ten mistakes sprinkled throughout the book. Most of the mistakes were misspelled, but I also saw grammar and word omissions too. This is very unfortunate because the first book only contained a couple of mistakes.

It is with these considerations that I have decided to give Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman 3 out of 4 stars. Overall I really enjoyed this book, but perhaps in the future, the protagonist shouldn't be as preoccupied with beautiful women. It takes away from the book if the women are more or less just depicted is being pretty and used for mostly sex. I understand that this book series follows a young man, but it would be more appealing if his interactions were less about ogling women and doing drugs.

I look forward to the next book in this series, Superhighway 3. According to the author, it is slated to be released this Spring. If the opportunity to review it comes around, I would gladly do so. I just hope that Alex has matured and has a chance for happiness. It would also give me a chance to come full circle with this series.

Superhighway 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like holsam_87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Yes, I agree with you that Alex does act invincible because of his acquired superhuman skills. I love the book cover though as it really represents Alex's time travel via the internet. Excellent review.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Thank you for a thorough review. I read the first book and was disappointed with how female characters were treated/developed. I had hoped that the protagonist would mature and that would improve in the second book, but It sounds like it didn't. That's too bad because the female characters have a lot of potential to improve the story.
holsam_87

Post by holsam_87 »

dtb wrote: 25 May 2018, 18:42 Thank you for a thorough review. I read the first book and was disappointed with how female characters were treated/developed. I had hoped that the protagonist would mature and that would improve in the second book, but It sounds like it didn't. That's too bad because the female characters have a lot of potential to improve the story.
I definitely agree. I'm hoping to read the third book and see if Alex grows out of his jerk persona. Its supposed to come out really soon.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

holsam_87

Post by holsam_87 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 25 May 2018, 17:33 Yes, I agree with you that Alex does act invincible because of his acquired superhuman skills. I love the book cover though as it really represents Alex's time travel via the internet. Excellent review.
Thank you so much, looking at the cover and hearing how he describes moving through the internet makes me also think of the Tron movies too.
Samantha Holtsclaw

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”