Review by Fuzzy456 -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Review by Fuzzy456 -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by Fuzzy456 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter is a novel about a young man and his coming of age. The story is set in England and revolves around Randy Love, the main character. He is a surprise third child born into an affluent family almost 18 years after the second child was born. The family was already well established when Randy was born. Shorty after his birth, Randy's mother dies.

The story then jumps ahead about 20 years later when Randy returns back to England after studying abroad in the U.S. His father, John is not aware that Randy did not successfully complete his studies. Randy starts his job search and moves out of the family home. It is here we are, full witness to Randy's character. He is a callous, selfish, disrespectful young man who plows through people to please himself and his goals. He has no respect for basic rules of society and he just does not care. To avoid paying rent fees, he jumps from apartment to apartment, leaving others in the lurch. He has absolutely no respect for women, using them for his own personal gratification and moving on to the next. He has no work ethic, slacking off on the job and lying through to the next promotion.

Randy relies on his family; his father, brother and sister to save him from his financial problems. He has a few close friends in his entourage; but we see Randy also using them for his own personal gain. He does have an honest relationship with Michael, his father's tax accountant friend, who tries to give him sound advice and guidance. We can also see a glimpse of kindness and humanity towards the end of the book as he finally develops a relationship with his niece Annabel and his final decision to return to Nicky, a previous girlfriend he took advantage of but realized that he had true feelings for.

I had a difficult time reading this book. There were too many characters and I had problems remembering them. The flow was very choppy and I had to constantly check the previous page to see if I had missed anything. The book is written in British English and I did enjoy the fact that the author included and Index of British Terminology and Slang at the end of the book.

The plot was boring, the novel was anti-climactic and I fell asleep several times while reading. Constantly waiting for an exciting storyline, which never came, I was both disappointed when the book ended but pleased that the pain was over. Personally, I hated this book.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. I honestly would not recommend this book to anyone, with an awful plot, an anti-climactic ending; please don't waste your time; life is too short.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Fuzzy456's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's a great thing that there was an index included, but a pity that this novel was a bad one. If you are looking for a better coming-of-age novel, you could perhaps try a book which I have reviewed titled Stone Circle, which was a decent read. I hope to hear your thoughts there. Thank you for your review!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

What's curious about this is it seems to be a British book, targeted at the American market. Just going by the title, any Brit buying it would be able to guess the basic plot line (such as it is). Sorry it was such an awful experience, but I'm glad you enjoyed finding out about British English.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I just finished reading the book and I must say, I share most of your sentiments. Although very well written the book would have been better off without so many characters and plotlines.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I couldn't help but laugh when you said you fell asleep while reading--I know the feeling. :lol I'm sorry that you had to go through this book. Reviewers seem to be divided on this, but most of the ones I've read were negative. I'll steer clear of this one then.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Oh dear, I was thinking that this sounded like Alfie at first, but doesn’t look like it’s a patch on that classic.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I don't think I would have gotten past the title! Haha
I'm sorry it was such a disaster, but thank you for sticking it out to get us the information.
Fuzzy456

Post by Fuzzy456 »

gen_g wrote: 22 May 2018, 22:48 It's a great thing that there was an index included, but a pity that this novel was a bad one. If you are looking for a better coming-of-age novel, you could perhaps try a book which I have reviewed titled Stone Circle, which was a decent read. I hope to hear your thoughts there. Thank you for your review!
I will check out Stone Circle for sure....thanks for your comments.
Fuzzy456

Post by Fuzzy456 »

SABRADLEY wrote: 24 May 2018, 22:56 I don't think I would have gotten past the title! Haha
I'm sorry it was such a disaster, but thank you for sticking it out to get us the information.
Thanks for the comment.....yes it was quite painful to finish but I was determined to get it over with.....
Fuzzy456

Post by Fuzzy456 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 24 May 2018, 07:18 Oh dear, I was thinking that this sounded like Alfie at first, but doesn’t look like it’s a patch on that classic.
NO....definitely NOT.... thanks for your comment!
Fuzzy456

Post by Fuzzy456 »

inaramid wrote: 23 May 2018, 21:03 I couldn't help but laugh when you said you fell asleep while reading--I know the feeling. :lol I'm sorry that you had to go through this book. Reviewers seem to be divided on this, but most of the ones I've read were negative. I'll steer clear of this one then.
Yes.....please stay away.....it’s funny how some books you just can’t put down, this one kept falling down while I fell asleep!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Fuzzy456 wrote: 25 May 2018, 07:17
gen_g wrote: 22 May 2018, 22:48 It's a great thing that there was an index included, but a pity that this novel was a bad one. If you are looking for a better coming-of-age novel, you could perhaps try a book which I have reviewed titled Stone Circle, which was a decent read. I hope to hear your thoughts there. Thank you for your review!
I will check out Stone Circle for sure....thanks for your comments.
Do let me know what you think if you do! (:
Fuzzy456

Post by Fuzzy456 »

Libs_Books wrote: 23 May 2018, 13:21 What's curious about this is it seems to be a British book, targeted at the American market. Just going by the title, any Brit buying it would be able to guess the basic plot line (such as it is). Sorry it was such an awful experience, but I'm glad you enjoyed finding out about British English.
Thanks for your comment! I really did enjoy that index - it was such a surprise to see it at the end of the book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”