Review by Helen_Combe -- The Wall by Some Guy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Review by Helen_Combe -- The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Wall" by Some Guy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

THE WALL: Guardian’s Redemption by Some Guy is advertised as a graphic novel and is volume 1 in the WALL series. It tells the adventures of five mercenaries who call themselves the Wrecking Crew. Recruited by the United Nations, they used to do the nasty, off the record kind of jobs, until they had a terrifying experience with a demon in Afghanistan. Having left the UN, they are now providing protection for the President of the United States who has just finished building a huge wall between America and Mexico.

Finding parallels? Yep, I found parallels. Perhaps real, perhaps imaginary. I found that four of the members of the Wrecking Crew appear to correlate quite nicely with the A Team. Terminator to B. A. Baracus, DMoney to Face and Bananas to Howling Mad Murdock. Forge/Gunns corresponds to Hannibal and though he doesn’t chew on a cigar, he does chew on a toothpick. Mind you, even Freud says that sometimes a cigar is just a toothpi... I mean a cigar. There is a fifth member called Scorpion, but he didn’t play an awfully big part. In fact, he reminded me of poor old John Tracey who spent most of his time alone and forgotten on Thunderbird 5 because Gerry Anderson didn’t like him.

There may be other parallels. Well, there’s the president and the wall for starters. No parallels there. The suspicious death of the front running opposition candidate, Hilary Dixon. Move along, move along, no parallels to be seen here, haven’t you people got homes to go to?

It’s a mixed-up world. Set in the near future (perhaps), in a dark alternative reality where it’s difficult to work out who, if anyone, is on the side of the angels. The Wrecking Crew are not nice guys. They talk about honour but they will kill before they establish who you are; they will kill because you got in the way, and they kill because you’ve just given them a headache. But that’s hardly a surprise since we are in a universe where debriefing your own people might require torture.

I enjoyed the book with its parallels to current politics, and I liked the comicstrip-style illustrations. I also enjoyed the parts where Gunns wrestles with his conscience, though I was surprised to find that he had one to wrestle with. The story was graphic, but not in the sense that it was advertised. There were only seven illustrations, so it fell well short of what I would describe as a graphic novel. It’s well written but it needs to be edited because even good writers make mistakes. There are also some problems with the integrity of the story. In chapter one, they start in Pakistan and end up in Afghanistan without crossing any obvious borders. Bananas releases a drone, then puts it in its protective pocket, and then catches it as it returns.

The story ends on a cliffhanger which is to be expected as this is the first in a series. At the end, there’s a glossary describing the protagonists. There is very little description of the characters during the story and I think the glossary may be there to mess with the brain of anybody who has made clichéd racial assumptions.

This book would appeal to anybody who enjoys graphic novels. While I would argue that it’s not a graphic novel itself, it nevertheless has the feel of one. The story is violent and would appeal to people who enjoy gung-ho heroes who carry so much weaponry that it’s hard to imagine where they keep their food and bedding.

If I could give half stars, I would give this 2.5 as there were quite a lot of typos that need to be sorted. However, I’m giving this 3 out of 4 stars because I know people who would really enjoy this book, so I would recommend it to them.

The Wall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review! It is a pity that there were many errors, but it also seems like there is some unfulfilled potential in this...graphic novel due to the parallels present. I would have to give this a pass, but thank you again for the review!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

gen_g wrote: 22 May 2018, 23:04 Thank you for the detailed review! It is a pity that there were many errors, but it also seems like there is some unfulfilled potential in this...graphic novel due to the parallels present. I would have to give this a pass, but thank you again for the review!
Thank you. I liked the parallels with the politics though.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Well, those political parallels are quite something. Loved the links to the A team and Thunderbirds as well!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love your sarcasm. “No parallels here.” Ha ha.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Libs_Books wrote: 23 May 2018, 13:17 Well, those political parallels are quite something. Loved the links to the A team and Thunderbirds as well!
Well I do like to get 60s cult TV into every sentence 😄
Thanks for commenting.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

teacherjh wrote: 24 May 2018, 10:03 I love your sarcasm. “No parallels here.” Ha ha.
I didn’t mean to be sarcastic, I meant it to be a humorous wink at the author.
Thanks for commenting
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Helen_Combe wrote: 24 May 2018, 11:04
teacherjh wrote: 24 May 2018, 10:03 I love your sarcasm. “No parallels here.” Ha ha.
I didn’t mean to be sarcastic, I meant it to be a humorous wink at the author.
Thanks for commenting
Oh, it was funny. I thought it was great.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Gross scenes are annoying a bit and intricate language makes it less interesting...a good review by the way :)
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Zimall wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 09:28 Gross scenes are annoying a bit and intricate language makes it less interesting...a good review by the way :)
Thank you :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”