Review by Mildred Tabitha -- Bleeding Gull - look, feel,...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Review by Mildred Tabitha -- Bleeding Gull - look, feel,...

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bleeding Gull: look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi is a Drama and Poetry book. The book has 88 short poems that are about different topics. Few of the titles include, Mitochondria, Pregnancy, Autism Girls, Smiling, Broken but Not Done, Sinners, third Eye, Breast Cancer and Transfiguration. The poems are unique. Some of the themes discussed include love, autism, happiness, sadness, cancer and death. From the eyes of Gull: each topic discussed is true and we as humans must have experienced one or the other.

I experienced different emotions while reading the collection of poems in this book. The poems are brief to the point with a minimum of three to ten short sentences. The poems are thought provoking, and I had to reread some of them for me to understand or at least have an idea of what it was about. No rhyming words are used or even repetitive sentences. This is what makes the author's writing style to be unique.

What I liked most is how each poem was straight to the point. The statements carried so much weight that sometimes I had to stop and absorb what I had just read. For example, "And a birth of a certain death" and "A broken man, hangs with broken things" are some of the sentences that will leave you thinking deeply about the topic discussed. I like how the poem about Blindness was expressed. I felt it. I was literally in the son's shoes wondering how I looked like.

I couldn't tell who the author really was from the poems discussed since they all addressed different topics. Readers can relate to at least few of the topics discussed if not all. My favorite poem was Breast Cancer because I didn't struggle to imagine the mother and the child.
My kid is playing on my hand,
And he stuns me,
How he chooses my right breast
And sucks my age
Till it swells.
I try to astonish him
With my left,
But he rubs its teat
With his hands
And doesn’t drink from it.
I could clearly tell that it was the left breast that was ill. The author doesn't fail to bring the point to light.

I personally liked this poetry book. I have to admit that I understood 70% of the poems while the rest were about topics I had no idea about. I didn't find any grammar errors and so I presume the book was professionally edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and I gladly recommend it to those who enjoy reading poems. Those who are new to poems should not hesitate reading this book because they won't be disappointed.

Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mildred Tabitha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The author beautifully depicts his emotions through his poetry and his writing style is certainly unique. Thanks for your thorough review. I have also reviewed this book. You can check it out if you like.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I almost read this book of poems once before. To be honest, the title put me off a little bit. After reading your review, I think I will give it another look.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great, honest review. I hope that this book is as good as you make it seem. Thanks for sharing.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

dtb wrote: 25 May 2018, 18:46 I almost read this book of poems once before. To be honest, the title put me off a little bit. After reading your review, I think I will give it another look.
My sentiments exactly! Thanks for the detailed review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Your understanding of poetry is deep. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

I prefer non-rhyming poetry in general so this book might be right up my alley. Non- rhyming poetry has a special magic of its own evoking thought without the constraints of rhyming.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”