Review by AnnaKathleen -- Demon Freaks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Review by AnnaKathleen -- Demon Freaks

Post by AnnaKathleen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bing and Ron Slaughter are your average teens. They have a band with their friends Kaitlyn and Meat, and their biggest worries are test scores, getting into college, and if the mustache and beard of Mr. Brom, the history teacher dedicated to making their lives difficult, are naturally black and red. However, when a night of band practice and group studying is interrupted by a storm, hooded figures, and a car chase, they discover there are even bigger and darker things to worry about. Facing two warring sides of darkness, an evil dagger, and equipped with new talents and comrades, the group must fight to save the world and hopefully make it back for their SAT test.

When I first saw the cover of this novel, I was incredibly unsure of what to expect. There was such a trippy feel to the book when I saw purple lightning, cloaks, and, of all things, golf clubs and a golf ball. If you put all those things together, it almost sounds like a bad joke. Surprisingly, Demon Freaks was not a joke at all.

Blending young adult, horror and comedy elements is not something one expects to be easy, but J.R.R.R. Hardison seamlessly uses all three to create a fast-paced, wacky and fun read with Demon Freaks. There was never a dull moment, and while most scenes were comedic and hilarious, there was also action, friendship and surprising bits of emotion within the pages. When not fully immersed in the story, I often found myself thinking of just how cinematic the read was. From action scenes, settings, and character descriptions, the language in the work had depth without being long-winded, and it was easy to create a mental picture.

For such a short read, I was pleasantly surprised. With dialogue and inner monologues that gave insight to relationships and decisions, the characters were relatable from the first chapter. I continuously found myself empathizing with the Slaughter twins, Kaitlyn or Meat - from moments of anger, tension, to even secondhand embarrassment and face-palming frustration. The pop culture references made by the author will undoubtedly help readers engage and relate to each of the teens, and even the adults, in the story. However, I would not say the characters develop or grow very much.

I admit that Demon Freaks was slightly predictable at times. This is not a severe fault, necessarily, considering many YA and horror works have certain beats, almost like a formula or method for creation, they sometimes follow. The more you read and look for details, the more you find the pieces that indicate where the plot is going. Despite this, Demon Freaks had its moments of surprise, and I never lacked in my enjoyment while reading.

Overall, I really enjoyed Hardison’s Demon Freaks. It was incredibly quirky, funny and offbeat. This work is a fast read, able to appeal to younger and older readers, as well as newer and experienced readers alike. While there were no noticeable errors in writing, and the book had humorous dialogue, and unique ideas and plot, there were a few moments of predictability and dullness. Due to this, the novel was good, but not excellent. I give the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like AnnaKathleen's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your detailed review! I must say, I have read other reviews which were not as positive, and yours made me want to check the book out.
AnnaKathleen

Post by AnnaKathleen »

gen_g wrote: 21 May 2018, 11:14 Thank you for your detailed review! I must say, I have read other reviews which were not as positive, and yours made me want to check the book out.
Thank you for reading! :) I was hesitant at first, but I really enjoyed it. I hope if you decide to check it out, you do too!
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

Your descriptive review allowed me to mentally picture the characters within the book. Imagery to me is important as this allows me the ability to see if I will enjoy the book. I do enjoy demons and freaks so I guess Demon Freaks sounds fun to read. It is nice that the author made the characters relatable to its main audience but also relatable to anyone. You are right that this genre has a recipe that it follows but that is okay. Thank you for a fun and informative review.
AnnaKathleen

Post by AnnaKathleen »

arcie72 wrote: 24 May 2018, 19:02 Your descriptive review allowed me to mentally picture the characters within the book. Imagery to me is important as this allows me the ability to see if I will enjoy the book. I do enjoy demons and freaks so I guess Demon Freaks sounds fun to read. It is nice that the author made the characters relatable to its main audience but also relatable to anyone. You are right that this genre has a recipe that it follows but that is okay. Thank you for a fun and informative review.
I'm happy the review helped! Let me know how you enjoy the book! :)
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

When not fully immersed in the story, I often found myself thinking of just how cinematic the read was.
This compliment got me curious about the novel, so I'm going to check it out soon. Thank you for this lovely review!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The concept, indeed, seems a bit trippy, and the genre mix could have gone awfully wrong. But I'm glad it didn't. Some genres almost inevitably fall into certain cliches or predictable elements, and that's not always a bad thing, as you say. It seems like a light read that could be easily enjoyable if the reader is in the right mood.
Thank you for your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”