Review by Farmgurl1 -- The last Assassination

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Farmgurl1 -- The last Assassination

Post by Farmgurl1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The last Assassination" by James E Doucette.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel The Last Assassin by James E. Doucette is a political thriller about two brothers who act as one assassin for hire named The Dagger. The brothers want to get out of the killing business and settle down with a life of legitimacy and normalcy.

The story starts with a mysterious bombing of the Doctors Without Borders hospital in Syria. Mark Plotnick, a successful attorney, is called in to consult on the situation when his son is implicated in the attack as the United States drone pilot that caused the explosion. Mark contacts some of his past allies from his days as a Mossad agent to help him clear his son’s name and the United States as the villain.

The book is about conspiracy, betrayal and the intricate plots that go on behind closed doors in the political world. The story moves at a fast pace and the characters are all intertwined by their past roles as agents in the military. The book really highlights the sorted world of the political espionage side of government and the dishonest way each country pits one against each other.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I felt like this was a great book that was very well-written with very few errors. The story is disturbingly real and it makes the reader feel like the American government is just as dishonest as other countries claim them to be. I think as an American, I want to feel like we are above the terrorist regimes that are out to hurt and destroy others, but this story makes it seem like Americans are the terrorists. There is a concerted effort to frame the American government as the culprits responsible for killing innocent civilians and the government’s plot to name a scapegoat to take blame for the crime, and it seems like it could happen. The story is sometimes hard to follow, with multiple characters and a fairly complex plot that takes many twists and turns. I like the fact that the book provokes thought about the platform of how governments use each other for their best interest and I also find that topic hard to digest. The book at times makes some discriminatory references to Jews and Muslims, but it is easy to understand why the author chose to use this type of language in this story.

In summary, I think the book would appeal to readers who like to read about conspiracy theory. This story really gets the reader thinking about the role America plays in world politics and how the media is used to mask the truth. I would recommend this book to those that like a good political action thriller.

The last Assassination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Farmgurl1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”