Review by sanjus -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by sanjus -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Sanju Lali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? By William E.Combs is a book that intends to spark a debate on theologies of faith and its effect on day-to-day life. It intrigues the readers to think once again about the causes for their day-to-day problems by acting according to their own understandings and also about difference it can make, by surrendering themselves to the faith in the BIBLE.

This book puts forward some lines which are mentioned in the BIBLE about the garden of Eden and explains, how Adam and Eve eat a fruit from the ‘good and evil’ tree, even though they were forbidden to do so by the God. Then, it describes the consequences they face due to this act. Moreover the author co-relates this with what people usually do in their lives and the problems they face due to their actions. It also mentions Abraham and the promise by the God to him to give the land on which he was predicted to build his empire. The phrase “Body of sin brought to nothing when he was crucified” which signifies that about Jesus was crucified and shed his blood to the appeasement to animals those got killed in order to give their skin for covering children of Adam and Eve.

The author also cites his life experiences in support to theology of his faith and its significance on his early life and his neighborhood at Alaska. Furthermore the author also gives insight about the revelations to them, like lord spoke to them and gave guidance, when they experienced troubles in their lives. This book gave instances of the cure of cancer of his relative and improvement in performance of his daughter at college based on theology that “In all of your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths” as mentioned in the BIBLE. It is emphasized to empty one’s mind and listen to lord's voice to be always protected.

All of this theology mentioned above may spawn prejudices among the people, whose belief system is different and follow different religions. The idea is definitely like the saying, that “one size does not fit for all” and hence it may not be accepted by all the readers in same way. However, I appreciate about an honest attempt made to churn the thoughts of the followers of this faith to yield something useful.

There were a few spelling mistakes which do not make so many problems to the reader to understand the subject. Taking all above into consideration, I decided to give the rating as 3 out of 4 stars ,instead of full stars especially due to not pleasing to all.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sanjus's review? Post a comment saying so!
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

I believe the purpose of this book was to help readers re-examine the way they view and read the BIBLE. The characters chosen, Adam, Eve and even Abraham, assume to portray God's grace and mercy. Jesus was crucified to bring reconciliation between mankind and a Holy God after the disobedience of Adam the first man.

You are right in connecting the dots, by emptying one's mind and listening to the Lord's voice, one finds peace and protection. I am glad some readers thoughts are being churned by this book and something useful is being yielded; especially in me-I learned a lot from this book when I reviewed it.

Thank you for your honest and deep review, it provoked my thoughts towards this book.
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks you for your time giving reply about this religious book
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This was the first book I reviewed. I found it insightful and interesting. Good job on the review.
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

sanjus wrote: 22 May 2018, 10:06 Thanks you for your time giving reply about this religious book
You are welcomed.
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

teacherjh wrote: 22 May 2018, 10:30 This was the first book I reviewed. I found it insightful and interesting. Good job on the review.
thanks you so much for the reply on this review
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the interesting review! This seems like a fascinating read, with a lively debate.
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

gen_g wrote: 24 May 2018, 10:08 Thank you for the interesting review! This seems like a fascinating read, with a lively debate.
Thanks for your reply on this review, this is really theological brush up book
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

teacherjh wrote: 22 May 2018, 10:30 This was the first book I reviewed. I found it insightful and interesting. Good job on the review.
thanks for giving time to reply this review
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

while your review is well written i find this really interesting, having just reviewed this myself i gave it a 1, but it's interesting to see someone else have such a dramatically different take.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thank you for your thorough review. It's always interesting to me to learn people's perspectives on biblical teachings, and how that is incorporated into their life.
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

alisonedgee wrote: 24 May 2018, 17:09 while your review is well written i find this really interesting, having just reviewed this myself i gave it a 1, but it's interesting to see someone else have such a dramatically different take.
Thanks for putting time in reply of this review, yes as you said different persons look at the stories by different angle
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is a truly remarkable book which gives the author's perspective on the different stories in the Bible, supported by his personal contact with God. Thank you for your thorough review.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Reviewers seem to be divided about this book. The theological theme of the book isn't something I'm interested in, but it's great that others still find value in its contents. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Sanju Lali

Post by Sanju Lali »

inaramid wrote: 28 May 2018, 23:08 Reviewers seem to be divided about this book. The theological theme of the book isn't something I'm interested in, but it's great that others still find value in its contents. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Thanks for for your time replying this review and expressing your opionion

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”