Review by Charine -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by Charine -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Charine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Drugs, terrorists, special agents, a grande dame, innocent victims, murder, kidnappings and a hero can all be found within the 332 pages of this novel. The genre, C/T/M/H, describes all the elements to a tee.

The mystery starts when "The Marlboro Man" (a.k.a. Patrick) saves Samantha's life when he rescued her from the river. She was thrown in by two unknown men and she is unable to swim. Patrick returns Sam to her grandmother's cottage, not knowing that his life had been irrevocably changed.

In order to protect Sam's family and at the same time catch the kingpin of the gun trafficking organization, special agents swoop in and take the investigation over. Sam's grandmother, Jessica, now has agents in her basement and Patrick is somehow employed by the task force. Will their lives ever return to normal?

All aspects of this complex, surrealistic tale was told in a third person's narrative. It was an excruciating task to place the characters as there were so many of them, competing for the lead that I still can't tell for certain who the main character is. Due to this the character building suffered leaving the reader quite perplexed as to who these characters are.

I suspect that English is Rene Natan's second language due to a few errors that are not common in first language authors. For instance on page 20: "...river makes the big turn..." where turn should've been bend, however these errors did not detract from the powerful plots.

The author manages to successfully juggle all the plots, keeping the reader in suspense. They are well thought out and produced quite a few surprise twists. However, I did find keeping track of all the events a bit tedious and breathed a sigh of relief that this strenuous read came to an end. Then I realized that I finished a novel without any lingering ghosts. Usually I reflect upon the characters that I've met: the good, the bad or the ugly; but sadly none stood out, not even a villain to despise.

Therefore I can only rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. I will not deduct another star for the few errors present as they were minor. This is not an easy beach read but if you are ready to flex your brain-muscle do dive in, you might want to keep a notepad handy in the beginning to place all the characters. Please note that the biggest drawback was that my personal value system was affronted by the careless use of the Lord's name.

Lemoncella Cocktail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Charine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Very interesting review. Thoroughly analysed, and clear points! It struck me that you said that the author's first language probably isn't English, and I realised that it's very apparent when someone doesn't know the language but it's also apparent when someone is using language a little playfully and bending the rules in order to create a certain atmosphere. I wonder how we know this! What are your thoughts?

Thank you so much for this review, Charine!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Please note that the biggest drawback was that my personal value system was affronted by the careless use of the Lord's name.
I appreciate your honesty at admitting that the affront to your values swayed your opinion a bit.
Although I enjoy twisty plots and I find the title quite intriguing, it seems like much of a hassle to keep up with all the characters and subplots. It's also a bit disappointing that none of the characters stood out or stayed with you.
Thank you for your honest review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It seems like this piece's myriad facets and layers make "cocktail" an appropriate of its title. I admire those who could turn life's lemons into lemonades or, better yet, lemon meringue pies. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”