Review by KiaraST -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KiaraST
Currently Reading: Master the Law of Attraction
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiarast.html
Latest Review: Skullduggery at Quanah by Dennis Boyd Call

Review by KiaraST -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by KiaraST »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday is a story about a woman named Amanda Parker. She has endured a lot of tragedy in her life, and in trying to deal with it all, she has effectively closed herself off from forming any new attachments because she is convinced those relationships will only end in pain and grief. When she (somewhat fantastically) saves the life of Officer Mark Callahan, that conviction goes into overdrive, but Mark refuses to allow her to run from the deep connection they have. His determination leads to an exploration of the Amanda’s past and revelations about each of their family history.

Can love survive death to last an eternity? Can we reconnect with souls we loved in past lives? Are we destined to relive the same mistakes and tragedies of lives gone by? Amanda has to come to terms with her own past in this lifetime and in a lifetime she lived over a century ago before she can move forward and experience any semblance of a happy ending.

I did really enjoy this book! The storyline was so unlike your typical romance and after reading it, I wondered why I hadn’t come across it before. The love story is central to moving the plot forward, but Yesterday offers much more than just hero/heroine relationship drama. For me, the best thing is the way in which the author seems to drop the reader into fast paced action and gut wrenching emotional scenes with no warning or foreshadowing. There were moments when I had to pause reading just get myself together. Of course those moments never lasted long because I was always so eager to see what would happen next or what would be the fallout of a particular scene.

My only real complaint would be that I don’t feel the author provided enough of the male lead, Mark. I never really felt like I got to know him outside of his relationship with Amanda. We learn a few details about his life prior to meeting Amanda, but they all felt a little shallow to me. I would have liked to have more of his perspective about the direction of his life and how those drastic changes affected him beyond the superficial surface changes.

Overall, I rate Yesterday 4 out of 4 stars because I felt there was a perfect blend of romance, action, new-age science, and history with even a little well placed humor. There is really something for everyone, and it offers a great chance for the reader to sample different genres without committing to an entire book about one thing. It was very well written and I look forward to reading more from Samyann.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KiaraST's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”