Review by Gsamour -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gsamour
Currently Reading: I'll Point to Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gsamour.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Gsamour -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gsamour »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you have a heart for adventure, history, and family, then Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon is the book for you! The story takes place in the Olympic Peninsula Wilderness in Washington State where Tom and his Native American friends are about to go on a camping trip. To their surprise, right as they are ready to leave, Tom is left with his teenage granddaughter, Sarah, who he has never met, nor knew existed. Of course, Sarah is not happy with the situation and is not afraid to voice her opinion. Tom’s friends William and Myra convince Tom that instead of canceling the trip, he should bring Sarah along.

Their trip is instantly filled with danger, discoveries, and stories of the past, as they travel to the old gravesite of Tom’s grandfather. On the trip, the four learn a lot about each other and learn to trust each other. Tom’s friend William is in poor health and his daughter Myra is struggling with her own issues, when suddenly Sarah goes missing. After about a week, Sarah finally returns with a story that is sure to turn some heads. Tom struggles with believing the mystifying story that is a tale of Native American history.

Charlie Sheldon demonstrates a true knowledge about the history of Native Americans, specifically those in the Pacific Northwest. He describes the terrain, artifacts, and personalities so vibrantly, I could easily picture the characters hiking through the Peninsula. The plot thickens just at the right times, like when Sarah disappears or when Tom and his friends discover an ancient spear thrower, “atlatl”.

Although the novel depicts an exciting adventure, the writing came across a little stiff, as it was lacking good sentence structure. The dialogue between the characters was short, choppy and at times unrealistic. I think the writing needs a little polishing and the transitions need to be fine-tuned for better pacing of the plot. However, these issues did not affect my enjoyment of this novel at all.

I rate Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon a 4 out of 4 stars for its wonderful tale of history, adventure, and mystery. I highly recommend this book for the thrill seekers, adventure lovers, and ancient history diggers. You will find yourself completely immersed, as the book demands the readers’ attention on the journey of a seemingly ordinary tale. Curl up with a blanket and some hot chocolate for a fast and easy read.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gsamour's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review; the premise certainly seems interesting, and I'd have to check it out!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your review. I also read, reviewed and loved this book. I may have found some book parts initially perplexing but I think the trick worked in prodding me to read further. Like you, I found evidence of the author's background and thorough research efforts in the characters' thoughts and views, and the book's plausible blend of fantastical folklore and pragmatic scientific thought.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 02:05 Thank you for the detailed review; the premise certainly seems interesting, and I'd have to check it out!
I agree. Cheers.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”