Review by Skplonk -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Skplonk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skplonk.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Review by Skplonk -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Skplonk »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pancake Money is a crime thriller filled with intense visuals, great character development and a mystery that holds you until the end. Two cops, Bobby and Pollo try to figure out what the motive is in a series of gruesome murders. Is it power, money or sex? There are religious, gang and other interesting ties to these murders but who is doing it and why?

Based in New Zealand, the book gives some insight to different communities and how they operate. Some are born into a life as a Māori where matters are handled without police assistance and they live a semi-removed life from the rest of society. Then there are those who live so far out in the countryside, the city didn't even know anyone was out there. And finally there are those that live a more traditional city life, like the main character Bobby. The juxtaposition of these different communities and how they become intermixed is fascinating.

Author Finn Bell takes you through a life-changing week in Bobby's life as a police officer. It begins with a horrific murder and ends with a twist I surely hadn't expected. The reader gets a look into the family life of a police officer and the struggles it can create within a family dynamic. Beyond this, the author explores some criminal psychology and takes almost every character out of their comfort zone at some point. Bell offers up the conundrum of how you will act under extreme circumstances and really pushes the main character outside of his box.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not rate this book with 4 stars for a few reasons. There are a few grammatical errors though it isn’t anything too distracting from the story. Additionally, the psychological pieces of the story are a little long and drawn out for my taste and the pieces of the story that involve the college professor I found to be more tiresome than helpful to the story. While I do understand her connection to the story, I found her character irritating and didn’t enjoy reading the pieces of the story that took place in her classroom.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book as the plot keeps you intrigued and on the hook until the very end. The way the author is able to paint the scene in your mind, sickening as it may be, really brings you into that moment. I love a book that I have a hard time putting down and Pancake Money fits that bill.

Pancake Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Skplonk's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”