Review by Kathryn Price -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dawnks09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawnks09.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Review by Kathryn Price -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Dawnks09 »

This depicts some events that we can see in our society now. I appreciate how the author was able to maintain the balance to the elements of story. Thank you for this review.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

There are some themes and issues in this book I really am not interested in reading about, although I have seen quite a lot of happy reviewers discussing this book. I'm just not a fan of the alcoholic step-father and Natty's inappropriate relationship. I'm surprised you recommend this to such a young audience as a result of those issues.
seraph12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by seraph12 »

Wow. Ironbark hill is centered on the life of sixteen years old Natalie who takes Kevin herself to protect herself, her brother from their antagonistic step father. At such tender age, she has a great responsibility ahead of her. Also seeking revenge for the death of her father. The story line is liberating. I like her passion. The story breathes life and tells a story so real that we can feel the events unfolding.
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

Nice review. I haven't really settled down to read this novel but I guess I'll try and give it a try this time. This review really inspired me, thanks to the reviewer.
Frankfemez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Frankfemez »

It touches across every sphere of the society with an indept understanding of the situations, nice review.
unitedvgo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unitedvgo.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by unitedvgo »

The review reflects that the book will be full of emotions and the author has been descriptive about them. It's a really nice review.
choong+eunha
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by choong+eunha »

In this story, I didn't found any attractive points to read. For my personal review, I didn't like this types of story. The story line was flat and bored and also didn't found any interesting part to focus on.
MzSplash419

Post by MzSplash419 »

Great review! For someone who hasn't read the book yet, your review would really make them want to read it. From the review you gave, this book touches a lot of different issues that a lot of teens and young adults are dealing with right now on a daily basis. Once again great review.
Oluomodmj70

Post by Oluomodmj70 »

Hmmm.. This is an intriguing write up and a job well done
The context are arranged the right way and it meet standard
Hardeolar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hardeolar.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Hardeolar »

This is a great story about the choices we make and how they affect others around us. This book should be read by young readers. Nice work to the author. Great review.
moses ngwira
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by moses ngwira »

I did actually read the book and this review of it is really on point. It is true the writer has a style of writing that is not as the new form. I am yet to read it again to noticed the editing errors you noticed, which i did not see.
Ekuban Acquah Kwame
Currently Reading:

Post by Ekuban Acquah Kwame »

Amazing book that is,but must include touching vocabularies
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Discrimination and bullying for a sixteen-year-old girl must be a tough hurdle to deal with. Natty's character is well-developed and her story is very engaging. Great review.
LegebdaryCrole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-legebdarycrole.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by LegebdaryCrole »

While the book undoubtedly deals with heavy subject matter, I couldn't help but get a chuckle when the review happily stated how nice it was to see those topics being covered. As though this is the book they have been waiting years for, the one that finally tortures it's characters for the reader's delight. All jokes aside, it's clear that this book spoke to the review and that it handled it's serious subject matter with respect. Not something that particularly interests me, but if that kind of drama appeals to you then clearly this is the read for you.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Reading about themes such as racial discrimination, abuse and addiction can be difficult. However, this will create understanding. From understanding, there can be kindness and empathy. This sounds like an amazing book. Congrats on the book of the day! Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”