Review by Kathryn Price -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eileen4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen4.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Review by Kathryn Price -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Eileen4 »

Although this book has a good storyline, the quality of writing was poor. It made me feel as though the author wasn't writing from the heart, but rather using words one might learn in freshman composition class.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

This is a touching story on racial discrimination, abusive family situations, and alcoholism. I really admire Natty's inner strength in battling work related discrimination and an alcoholic father. Thanks for a wonderful review.
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

Thanks for the nice review. 💐💐
Congrats on being BOTD💐💐👍🏻👍🏻
The coming of age novel around 16-year-old girl facing discrimination, bullying, alcoholism, abusive families. Women empowering and really intriguing. I will read it if I ever get a chance. 💐💐
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
Jaykik
Currently Reading: The Carbynarah Chronicles, Book #1
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaykik.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jaykik »

This is a great review. The review has spurred my interest in reading the book. I will make sure to read it as soon as I can lay my hands on it
Nephyz+254
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nephyz-254.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Nephyz+254 »

An inspiring coming-of-age story that delves much into difficult topics including racial discrimination, abusive family situations, and alcoholism sounds very interesting. With excellent story line, characters, and writing quality I thinks many readers like me will like it very much. Thanks for this review.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Congratulations to Jennie Linnane for the third time that Ironbark Hill is featured as Book of the Day. Apart from being a stirring coming of age book about a young woman's fight for justice, equal opportunity and a career in 1950s Australia as a ndscape artist, it is a historical fiction drama that is a personal-level depiction of how Aborigines have fought and worked so hard to gain a place and equal footing in Australian society. I have read about young Aboriginal Australians who have made great strides in attaining education and establishing a career in the mainstream. A lot of progress has been made but racism can still happen. The work for equal opportunity continues. This book reminds us of the past and how far enlightenment and social justice have been winning the day in Australia.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

....."concertinaed", "somnolent", and "secateurs"!? Got to get my dictionary as well. Nice review Kathryn and congratulations to the book of the day.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

asaltares wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 02:36 A great fiction book with themes like racial discrimination and bullying and abusive family situations because of alcoholism. Will this girl decisions make her conquer all this obstacles in becoming of age?
Iron Bark
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

Great review . I'm not gonna read this right away but you convince me! so after I finish my current book, I'm gonna try reading this
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

Thank you for a wonderful review :) it was great to read and the book sounds like an interesting one. Your review and obvious enjoyment of the book has put it on my to read list :)
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

I can understand why this book has been BOTD several times. It is a story covering real life issues like, and abusive alcoholic father. A child having to grow up early because of trying to protect mother and siblings from an abusive father. That same child having immoral relationships in their future. These things definitely happen today, which allows more people to relate to something in the story.
Brian Travis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brian Travis »

Natalie despite her young age of sixteen years shows real woman power as he stands his ground against Alex, his step father, a drunkard and a selfish decision maker. Definitely a character for young teenage girls to look up to and the book deserves the rating.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”