Review by teacherjh -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Review by teacherjh -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway by Alex Fayman is a science fiction novel that explores the excitement, opportunities, and challenges of having an extraordinary ability. The main character, Alex, discovers by accident that he has the ability to physically travel around the world through the internet.

The story begins at the end. Alex is sitting on his private Caribbean island contemplating the consequences of his reckless actions. The rest of the story is told as a flashback. Alex grew up in an orphanage, not knowing anything about his parents. It was here, as a teenager, that he first discovered his gift. He is looking at a beach scene in Hawaii when he is literally pulled into the web by way of the internet cable. The description of his trip through a maze of lighted passages is quite creative. Alex lands in Hawaii safe, sound, and hungry. This is only the first taste of his adventures. Hardly considering going back to his old life, Alex must find ways to survive. His primary problem is lack of money, but his new gift gives him opportunities to find it. Stealing from corrupt gangsters for his own lavish desires as well as generously helping others are the main themes in the first half of the book. It wouldn’t take much guesswork to realize that this life is fraught with danger. The author also winds in questions about Alex’s family history and where the power came from originally. This is the first book in a series and it ends on quite a cliffhanger.

I love the premise of this book, and it was executed well. The latter portion of the book where mysteries are revealed and the action heats up was quite exciting. In addition, I found that the author made good use of figurative language. For example, when Alex is returned to the orphanage after a failed attempt at adoption, he says he feels like “a defective product being returned to the store.”

Unfortunately, the main thing I did not like about this book was the protagonist. He was immature and superficial. He spent too much time admiring himself and chasing a new girl in every country. He went way over the top with spending on himself for my taste. Still, I can’t blame the author for my personal preferences, and the opening scene does show him contemplating his actions. Perhaps his character will develop more depth in the sequel.

This novel had very few editing errors, and the plot was well done. Despite my own misgivings, I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who likes mystery and science fiction.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I would have liked to read this book, but I can never get Amazon gifts to download. It looks as exciting as I though it would be. Let’s hope some of the arrogance rubs off the main character.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jackie Holycross

Helen_Combe wrote: 16 May 2018, 12:09 Great review. I would have liked to read this book, but I can never get Amazon gifts to download. It looks as exciting as I thought it would be. Let’s hope some of the arrogance rubs off the main character.
That must be so frustrating to have the country of origin limitations. Thanks for commenting on my review.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

It's fun to see how we have varying levels of appreciation and patience for different aspects of the book. I hadn't really thought much about the use of figurative language, but you're absolutely right, the author has a knack for it — great review!
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I laughed when you said that he spent a lot of time admiring himself and girls. I thought the same exact thing. I also felt like he was obsessed with Nikes. :D I really liked how your review mentioned that it was a flashback. Very clever to describe it that way. Great review!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I reviewed this book as well, and I came to many of the same conclusions that you did about the protagonist. He was a bit annoying at times with his self-centeredness. Yes, he gave away lots of money to help people, but even that was almost just so that he could feel good about doing something wrong.

That line you mentioned about the failed adoptions broke my heart when I read it. Adoption is so close to my own heart. Sadly, I think that line is very real to far too many orphans. Watching that brokenness affect him so deeply made my heart connect with him. It also explained to me why he had trouble making lasting connections with people.
Jackie Holycross

Echo Haapala wrote: 16 May 2018, 18:46 I laughed when you said that he spent a lot of time admiring himself and girls. I thought the same exact thing. I also felt like he was obsessed with Nikes. :D I really liked how your review mentioned that it was a flashback. Very clever to describe it that way. Great review!
I realize this is common in YA literature, but it was still over the top for me. Thanks for the kind comments.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I always find it interesting when an author creates a protagonist with questionable traits, or is downright unlikeable. I think it could either be a creative victory or fall short. Thanks for the review!
Jackie Holycross

SABRADLEY wrote: 17 May 2018, 10:12 I always find it interesting when an author creates a protagonist with questionable traits or is downright unlikeable. I think it could either be a creative victory or fall short. Thanks for the review!
That's why I did not take a point away. I didn't want to judge it based on personal preference. Thanks for leaving me a comment. :techie-studyingbrown:
Jackie Holycross

haleygerstenberg wrote: 16 May 2018, 16:46 It's fun to see how we have varying levels of appreciation and patience for different aspects of the book. I hadn't really thought much about the use of figurative language, but you're absolutely right, the author has a knack for it — great review!
I always love when an author uses figurative language. It raises the level of their writing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one was just okay for me. I didn't like the main character either, and I just didn't have much of a desire to keep reading. Still, I would love to travel through the internet. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I like the way you started your review.
Superhighway by Alex Fayman is a science fiction novel that explores the excitement, opportunities, and challenges of having an extraordinary ability.
Despite the few errors, you still gave it a perfect rating. This gave me the feeling that you enjoyed reading this book.

The mystery behind the cliffhanger ending might be solved and tied together in the next sequel.

Thanks for the very detailed review.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

It is quite compelling that you recommend this book--despite the fact that you don't like the main character. I am intrigued enough to consider it. I generally have misgivings about books that are first in a series, just because I've read so many promising first installments, and so many disappointing second installments. But as you say, maybe a second part will focus on deeper character development. The premise of the book seems an interesting one to me though.
Jackie Holycross

Dolor wrote: 18 May 2018, 15:08 I like the way you started your review.
Superhighway by Alex Fayman is a science fiction novel that explores the excitement, opportunities, and challenges of having an extraordinary ability.
Despite the few errors, you still gave it a perfect rating. This gave me the feeling that you enjoyed reading this book.

The mystery behind the cliffhanger ending might be solved and tied together in the next sequel.

Thanks for the very detailed review.

I always wonder how many editing errors there can be before it deserves a point deduction. Thanks for commenting.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It is quite an interesting book having a protagonist character with some extraordinary skills, which helps him travel in a digital world. I like your well rounded review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”