Review by Mr Benji -- The Buried Secrets of Peonies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Review by Mr Benji -- The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Post by Mr Benji »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Buried Secrets of Peonies" by Mernegar Dorgoly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a tragic story before? How did you feel?—angry, vengeful or perhaps saddened. The Buried Secrets of Peonies is a collection of eight tragic stories that can have such an effect on a person’s emotions. The author, Mernegar Dorgoly, is a young writer who was born and raised in Iran but she is presently living in Florida.

The book is about the bloody massacre that took place during the 1979 Iranian revolution. It revealed a dark period in the history of Iran. The new regime that took over power targeted minor groups and former high-ranking officials. These persons were either tortured, kidnapped or killed and some of these incidents were unreported. It describes the trauma that each victim faced, felt, and endured. The most painful of these experiences can be really hard to point out. Is it the girl that was raped every night or the mother that discovered the lifeless body of her son, buried underneath the soil?—the stories were tragic indeed. It further tells stories of how ordinary people had their dreams cut short under such a chaotic period in Iran.

Each story is well presented with a vivid description of the scenes—this helps the reader to imagine the traumas experienced by the victims. For example, the bouts of depression a person suffers when he or she losses a loved one; the aftermath of a rape and the dehumanizing treatment of inmates. It was helpful to see footnotes at the bottom of the pages that explained the meaning of some unfamiliar words such as chador and Adhan. The book mentioned the number of persons killed in that single regime (about 3,800 in less than four months). It is quite impressive the way the author was able to present each situation as the victim would have related his or her experience.

However, it must be noted that each chapter is made up of a different story. Therefore, a reader must be able to separate each story from others and be able to read between the lines. There might be feelings of fear, anger, and sadness as a reader flips through the pages. Similarly, each story seems incomplete and leaves the reader in suspense. Also, it might bring back painful memories to victims of rape and those who were imprisoned unjustly in the past.

I rate The Buried Secrets of Peonies 4 out of 4 stars: it is well edited, realistic and vivid. It is particularly suitable for mature readers who can handle such intense emotions. Human-rights activists, especially those from Iran, will find it interesting. Likewise, Iranian youths can learn about the history of their country in this book.

The Buried Secrets of Peonies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mr Benji's review? Post a comment saying so!
Books are lovely.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

seen a few positive review of this now, it sounds so good, i can't wait to read it
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I have read so many great reviews, yours included, of this book. Your review cinched it. I need to read this book.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

JR Mercier wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 13:03 I have read so many great reviews, yours included, of this book. Your review cinched it. I need to read this book.
Thanks for your nice comments.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

alisonedgee wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 09:43 seen a few positive review of this now, it sounds so good, i can't wait to read it
Thanks for your comment..
Books are lovely.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The poignant stories you've alluded to are part of those ones that should open up our eyes to the need for a better world. What is and how do we do our part in making life better for everyone? Thank you for your compassionate review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thank you for your detailed review. This would probably be a hard book to read but, saying that, these tragedies need to be brought to light so as to make others aware of what has happened.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This sounds like a collection of important stories that should be read, despite how uncomfortable the topics may be. I might need to get into the right frame of mind before tackling them. Thank you for your detailed review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is what usually happens when a revolution takes place in a country: "targeted minor groups and former high-ranking officials..."
I'm not Iranian but I do care about humanity. A book featuring real-life stories is a must read to me. Thank you for your detailed review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Espie wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 21:12 The poignant stories you've alluded to are part of those ones that should open up our eyes to the need for a better world. What is and how do we do our part in making life better for everyone? Thank you for your compassionate review.
Thank you for your nice comments.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

trajoe1206 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 17:28 Thank you for your detailed review. This would probably be a hard book to read but, saying that, these tragedies need to be brought to light so as to make others aware of what has happened.
I'm glad u agree that others need to be aware.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Dael Reader wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 15:19 This sounds like a collection of important stories that should be read, despite how uncomfortable the topics may be. I might need to get into the right frame of mind before tackling them. Thank you for your detailed review.
As previously stated, it will surely alter your frame mind.
Thank u for taking a look at the it.
Books are lovely.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”