Review by haleygerstenberg -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
haleygerstenberg
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 41
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by haleygerstenberg -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg » 15 May 2018, 15:46

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway, the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, is the story of a young man named Alex Fine. Alex comes from a difficult background as an orphan who was repeatedly fostered, but never adopted. This recurring rejection has made him into something of a loner, and his only friend is the woman who runs the orphanage he grew up in.

One day Alex abruptly discovers that he can travel through network cables into the optical passages of the internet, and he comes to understand that he has the ability to access, download, and manipulate data in any part of the digital web. This leads him to develop into something of a Robin Hood character as he steals from the digital bank accounts of infamous criminals and anonymously gives the proceeds to those in need. As the story progresses, Alex has a deep desire to discover his past and what it is that makes him special, but he runs into difficulty in doing so as he finds himself in more and more danger from the crime bosses and government entities whose paths he has crossed.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Sadly, the great premise of this book is overshadowed by its poor execution. The vast majority of the time I spent reading was dedicated to repetitive descriptions of how hungry the main character was and how eating felt, how the scenery looked, and what he thought of the inevitable pretty girl stumbling into his path—all of which had no relevance to the story. It felt like I was just reading a list of all of someone’s wildest fantasies for no reason.

In addition to the overly descriptive writing, I just couldn’t bring myself to like the main character. He is immature, actively amoral, and all of his benevolent decisions seem to be driven primarily by a self-absorbed guilt. Plus, because the story is written in the first person, it is very difficult to relate to Alex as he alternates between internally analyzing what a bad person he is and bragging about his selfish decisions. On top of all that, he just can’t stop with the absurd, objectifying descriptions of women in every other scene, which is the last annoying straw for me.

I truly wanted to like this book. The underlying story is actually quite engaging, which is what enabled me to read the entirety of the book, and I’d give it 2.5 stars for that if I could. However, the writing style and unlikable main character, combined with the handful of errors throughout make it impossible for me to give it 3 stars.

You might enjoy this book if you like cyber-tech sci-fi specifically; the author, Alex Fayman, does a good job of establishing the technical aspect of how things work in the story, and it’s done in something of a unique way. Otherwise, I’d recommend that you avoid reading this one.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like haleygerstenberg's review? Post a comment saying so!

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 81
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: REAP: A Jack Forester Thriller by Frank J. Edwards

Post by teacherjh » 16 May 2018, 14:12

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't like the main character. I thought he was well-written, but I didn't care for him at all. Great review.

Echo Haapala
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Echo Haapala » 16 May 2018, 18:54

I felt like there was a lot of repetition about the eating and food as well. I do t think it was necessary to write every time that he traveled. I liked your opinions of the book. Well written review!

SABRADLEY
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabradley.html
Latest Review: PYWRITE: A Contrarian's Approach to Investing by Walter H. Weil

Post by SABRADLEY » 17 May 2018, 10:06

What a shame about this book! As you noted, the premise is so promising. Hopefully the author will address some of the shortcomings and start heading this series toward its potential. Thanks for another great review.

Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: The Wagon Driver by David Berardelli
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby » 29 Jun 2018, 20:04

Nice review! I completely agree with your main points. I was disappointed in this book as well - ended up giving it a 2 out of 4 stars for some of the same reasons.

Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Requiem for the status quo by Irene Frances Olson
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader » 04 Jul 2018, 19:39

I just finished reading and reviewing this one too and felt just as disappointed as you did. There was an interesting premise here, but Alex is not a sympathetic hero. It's hard to like a story when the main character is just an arrogant jerk. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”