Review by arcie72 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by arcie72 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by arcie72 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren was full of mystery, murder and unexpected love. The main character Akira is a reluctant but dangerous assassin who is ready to start a new life but has one final job. She knows she must not faulter again like she did during her recent job. The head of the Yakusa family she is sworn too has finally allowed her freedom, but it seems that this new job might not mean her freedom but her demise.

While Akira not only navigates the ship, its passengers and the elitist company she must infiltrate it seems that her assigned father is not making it easy for her to get close to the man she is seducing. She must also quickly find out who the true killer or killers are before it’s too late. Too late to save possible innocent targets, her own life and now her heart.

The author did a wonderful job portraying Japanese culture through out the book. It was difficult at times to understand or pronounce the Japanese dialogue written as I do not speak the language. This slowed my reading and took me away from the moment. Another reader might not feel the same as there was not a large amount of words used. Aside from that, the melodramatic twists and turns resembled that of the ocean. The ocean can be unforgiving just like some of the people aboard the ship. The ever changing possibilities of who the killer or killers are is what made this a good and solid mystery book.

The book was well written but at times the sentences were overly descriptive. Some of the details were necessary to set the tone or describe an event but less could have been better. The chapters did flow easily which allowed the reader to stay engaged throughout the story. I rate Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren 3 out of 4 stars. I gave it a 3 due to its overly detailed descriptions and lack luster erotic scenes. Erotica readers would be disappointed. If not for my previous stated opinions, I would have easily given this book a 4 since the book was on target with its fight scenes and how well the mystery was threaded throughout the book.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys solving murder mysteries. The author does a great job keeping the reader guessing and trying to solve the murders. The addition of Japanese culture and a romance enhanced the book. I would not recommend this book to erotica readers.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like arcie72's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for your detailed review! I must say, having also reviewed the book previously, I was not such a huge fan of it. I am glad you enjoyed it, and I do agree that whilst the murder mystery was compelling, there might have been too many subplots. I would definitely like to hear your thoughts on my own, as I am of the opinion that Akira and Devon were not as well-developed as they could have been.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

gen_g, I agree with you that Akira and Devon were not fully developed. Since they were the main characters in this story the author in my opinion did not give enough time to these characters. I honestly felt that Devon's Uncle and Aunt were center stage and made the murder mystery more intriguing and allowed me to enjoy the book. Thank you for your response :)
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

That sounds quite intriguing. At the start, with the assassin who has one last job to do, I thought it was all about clichéd, but the stuff about Japanese culture makes it sound more interesting. Thanks for the review.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

arcie72 wrote: 24 May 2018, 02:50 gen_g, I agree with you that Akira and Devon were not fully developed. Since they were the main characters in this story the author in my opinion did not give enough time to these characters. I honestly felt that Devon's Uncle and Aunt were center stage and made the murder mystery more intriguing and allowed me to enjoy the book. Thank you for your response :)
Thanks for the response! I totally agree, for a moment, it seemed like a murder mystery instead of a romance. I'd like to hear your thoughts on my review of the same book - personally, the Japanese element was a dealbreaker for me due to various reasons - as it seems like many people have contrasting opinions.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Thank you for your detailed review! I'd read some other reviews of this book (including gen_g's ^) and the reviewers didn't seem to have enjoyed it as much as you did, although the premise of the book does sound interesting :) I'm glad you liked it, though!
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

Thanks for the great review! I definitely hate books that are just overly descriptive. It takes me out of the story and drowns me in paragraphs of unnecessary text.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”