Official Review: Love Hope and Promise by NaylaBurns

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isabelleva
Currently Reading: The Fountainhead
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelleva.html
Latest Review: Love Hope and Promise by NaylaBurns

Official Review: Love Hope and Promise by NaylaBurns

Post by Isabelleva »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Hope and Promise" by NaylaBurns.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is hard to tell when selecting a religious book of poetry what you will get. The concerns I always face are will it be moving and something I can connect to or will I find it offensive? After the first stanza, my worries went away. This collection of poems was amazingly powerful, insightful, and deep.

Love, Hope, and Promise is a collection of poetry about God and His love. With titles like “God’s Ultimate Gift,” “How to Walk In Faith,” “Where is the Real Love,” “His Faith,” and Jesus is Our Friend,” t delivers to the reader a sense of love, hope, and promise for sure.

As someone of faith, I found this book to be very powerful and moving. I felt a connection to God while reading these poems. I loved that they were expressions of God’s love and presence and not so much about teaching. While I love to learn and be taught about God, I also enjoy just being able to read about God and feel embraced in his power. This collection did that for me. “God is ultimately the Silversmith, the Refiner who uses your impurities, whether major or minor, to bring them up to the surface in order to refine you and mold you until you become pure and new.” Lines like this moved me and inspired me and took me deep within myself to reflect, which is what a good piece of writing should do.

I am giving this book a rating of 3 out of 4 because I loved how powerful and deep the author’s messages were. I felt moved and inspired and very connected to God. I am not giving the book 4 out of 4 stars because I felt like it could have been taken to the next level if there had not been rhyming in as many poems. I think that rhyming is a very playful style and it felt a little out of place in this book with such a strong message. It felt a little forced. There were also times where it felt less like a poem and more like the author was talking at us. I think more incorporation of stylized writing like the silversmith quote above would have really enhanced this collection of poems. The author’s message and deeper ideas about God and his love were what made me give this book a 3 out of 4 and not a 2 out of 4.

This book was incredible and definitely one I will continue to come back to when I need inspiration. I think this author has very insightful ideas and I am glad she is sharing them.

Love Hope and Promise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Isabelleva's review? Post a comment saying so!
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

Thank you for your honest review. This book sounds like a good reference book for my friend who is a new pastor. The feelings you shared make me feel confident that any person who is looking for an uplifting religious book has found one for the personal library.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I just read another review about another book of poetry, and I confessed in those comments that I have a tendency to shy away from poetry as I am always wary that I will understand the message being conveyed. It sounds like the author did a good job making this collection of poems relatable and beautiful. I might have to rethink my attitude on poetry. I like the idea of poetry that would take my relationship with God a little deeper.
Everything happens for a reason...
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

Nice review. I'm happy you enjoyed it. It's wonderful when a book can make you feel so strongly. I have not read this, but I do agree with you about rhyming poetry tends to be more lighthearted and I could see how it wouldn't fit for the message here.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

God's love for us is infinite and therefore he wants us to hope in his love. Beautiful poems. Great review.
musamba123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by musamba123 »

Poetry, reading poetry books is quite motivating though the poet might use hidden language with gets scared if am interpretating the message as per my understanding but for this its clear, I love it.
omomudu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by omomudu1 »

God is love personified,God love us personally irrespective of the difficulty we are passing through,hope is the future of knowing that God love made provisions for everything we ever think of.Promises of God are real based on his unlimited love for us. Jesus brought God love to us.
Faith Kiaria
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faith Kiaria »

This is amazing!its automatocally sounds like a true story of how someone can be connected to God know his great Love. God is Love,He keeps promises and gives us hopes
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Sounds like a great book. I think though that the use of rhyming words is very creative but I agree that it will be more effective if it will seem like God is talking to the reader when you read this book. Now reading this can be a powerful form of meditation.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

nice review, it's lovely that you had a strong connection with the poems. I agree that too much rhyming can seem a little childish, especially with a serious subject matter. This is not for me, personally, I'm just not the right audience but it seems it'd be great for someone that is more religious than i am

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”