Review by lcorbin25 -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
lcorbin25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lcorbin25.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by lcorbin25 -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by lcorbin25 » 14 May 2018, 13:26

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches by H.M. Irving

Reading a romance novel you expect certain things. The Prologue had me lost with the first sentence. Long and poorly written, it was evident by the over use of a thesaurus this was going to hinder the context of the story. Overly descriptive it did not add to the scene setting. My initial reaction was a romance novel gone wrong. The flow of the story was quick jumping from one thing to another. I felt lost, wondering what exactly was going one.

At one point I had to just stop reading and take a break to try to figure out what exactly was happening. Anna the main character young and ditzy found herself in a horrendous situation. A victim of a disgusting blatant assault. Home life was not so perfect due to the life with her now deceased step-father and shady step-brother. Her and her mother seemed use to tip toeing and smothering their feelings. However, the ultimate betrayal rocked her soul.

Thinking she found a wonderful boyfriend only to find out it was all and illusion. Nothing was real. This lead her to a night that left her changed forever. Insert Rafe, his story starts out just as confusing. Is he a crazy person walking down an alley hearing voices or just a troubled soul? He too suffered a similar act of assault. Anna’s started long before she got to the club, she was oblivious to it.

Anna when at the club found herself unable to stop what was happening. She seemed conscious yet not in control. From the club to the vehicle to the house. It was sick and disheartening to read what she went through. The story is very fast paced. Transitioning from one thing to another.

At times it was detailed heavily and too much thesaurus use. At the same time it seemed to lack depth. One silver lining is the author's attempt to show how sexual assault is not limited to one sex. The author was able to depict just exactly how sexual assault can destroy your very being. Rafe immediately helps Anna without second thoughts. This battle was difficult and forced him to face his own demons. It did not deter him.
Anna falls to pieces as she witness what was done to her first hand. She stood helplessly in a closet. How she managed to not speak and muffle her cries is beyond me. Rafe scooped her up, and gives her hope letting her know that he too had suffered at the hands of others. She finds herself back at college in the class of one of her assailants.

How he was able to physically assault her in front of others is hard to believe. This is tied into how fast this story runs. No detail, just relentless. However that has one thinking maybe this was the author's intent. As the story runs from one thing to the next is this similar to how Anna's feels? Is life passing her as she is trapped in this situation?

As the criminal case seemed to gain ground rage and Anna move on. Rafe taking a job as a training instructor at a military school and Anna a student. Things seemed to look up until two of her assailants show up. This leads to an admittance of love and a hopeful ending. Finding herself again Anna seemed to have gained a strength that was never there before and brought to life by Rafe. A climax to a ending only to be left with a “To be continued.”

I give this book a 2 out of 4 stars. There were several run on sentences. Many of which started with “but" and “and". The love of the thesaurus was obvious. The story at times what too fast paced and boring. The experimental drug was a twist that I found very interesting. I am torn on whether I would suggest this or not. On one hand it was very interesting in regards to the struggle to overcome sexual assault on both Anna’s and Rafe's behalf. However the storyline dragged at times.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lcorbin25's review? Post a comment saying so!

trajoe1206
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 » 15 May 2018, 22:07

Thanks for the detailed review. After reading your review, I do not believe this is the book for me.

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: Call Her Miss Ross
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 15 Aug 2018, 14:32

I read the review of Heartaches 3 (A Little Lost A Little Found) by H.M. Irwing, written by icorbin25. I feel so sad to know that reviewer felt so deeply about the violence caused to Anna and Rafe. Actually when a girl is caught to a victim of such exploitation in the absence of any help and support , what she should do? The first love of Anna was not base on sincerity so the disappointments lead to the further failure. How can she accommodate herself in such a situation? Anyway I liked the love story of Anna and Rafe who both collectively made efforts to compete with the extreme situations of violence and tried to meet each other with the help of their supporters. So the story contains love and romance which sometimes diverts from the real situation of the story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”