Review by bnoy -- Devilish by Tricia Barr

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Review by bnoy -- Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devilish" by Tricia Barr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Devil has escaped from Hell and landed on Earth. Felicity Claire, the junior journalist at the New York Times is given the job of discovering why the Devil has come. Does this mean the end of the world? Felicity embarks on a journey of sexual awakening as she tries to maintain her slipping defences against the charming Lucifer. Meanwhile, a much larger threat has the possibility of killing hundreds of people in New York City and Felicity must put her own life in danger to save the human race.

Devilish by T.L. Barr is a romance-fantasy novel that focuses on the life of a young woman as she encounters the wildly more experienced Devil. Felicity is a well-written, strong female who refuses to bend to the will of the men she encounters. I personally loved the irony of Barr by naming her protagonist Felicity, which literally means ‘Intense happiness’ as it creates a nice juxtaposition with our view of the Devil. Felicity is young but has a strong drive that forces her to act, to attempt to better the situation and own up to her mistakes. Although readers aren’t introduced to many people in her life, Felicity is given a deep and thorough backstory that displays her deep love for her family, which I personally enjoyed.

Lucifer is also nicely characterised so that he rebels against societies notions of the Devil. However, his characterisation slips sometimes in an attempt to keep the story modern. As an eternal being, Barr is effective in creating his voice as an intelligent, ancient, almost all-knowing being, so-much-so that during the texting exchanges between Felicity and Lucifer, it seems out of character for him to be writing things like ‘B4’ instead of before. Similarly, I am over the idea that males need to punish females, especially by ‘spanking’ them. This isn’t to say that I’m against the idea of putting spanking into a novel. Yet must it always be because the female protagonist has done something the male protagonist doesn’t like, usually regarding another male, and therefore he must punish her? This is especially odd in terms of Lucifer and Felicity when the first half of the novel is spent subverting the traditional role of the Devil. Barr explores him a pacifist, emphasising that he can’t stand the idea of hurting people. And yet he spanks Felicity for doing nothing wrong, to the point where she was sobbing and then Barr adds in comments like ‘She was so broken. He had broken her.’ Obviously this Dom/Submissive, BDSM, semi-abusive style relationship has become popular in the last few years, along with the idea of the adult virgin that falls in love with the first man she sleeps with and never wants to be with anyone else. But the style, if not written well, falls flat to me which it does on occasion in this novel.

The novel needs another round of editing, as there were quite a few mistakes. Barr often writes long, awkward sentences that could use restructuring to polish and simply them. There is also a lot of repetition throughout the novel of certain ideas and phrases and occasionally the formatting changes randomly in places. These, along with punctuation and spelling mistakes, led me to be slightly frustrated throughout the novel which was often made worse by cliché and at times soppy writing, ‘That was when all Hell broke loose’.

That being said, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book is an enjoyable quick read that follows the rules of a typical romance novel with a bit of fantasy thrown in. The ending was happy and satisfactory with the storylines wrapping up within an action packed few chapters. Lovers of romance and fantasy alike will enjoy this novel as it caters to both styles. I personally found it a little too soap opera at times and cliché to read again, but I know that others will enjoy it immensely. With the number of editing issues I cannot rate this novel higher, and despite the occasional cringe-worthy moments, I found the novel entertaining and the characterisation interesting.

Devilish
View: on Bookshelves

Like bnoy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Gilda_Octavo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilda-octavo.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Gilda_Octavo »

I like the review because it is detailed and straight forward which makes the piece more interesting and enjoyable.i like the observation about putting off-tangent action in the story like the spanking thing but despite of that,i still like to read the whole story.
togormey
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey »

Detailed review. A human and Lucifer playing mind games has gotten my attention. Moreover as devilish as the tittle souends, isn't after all entirely true about the novel but has romance attachment.Will surely be a good read.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

Thank you for an honest review, bnoy. Despite your generosity in giving the book a 3-star rating, I think I'll pass on reading this one. I'm too sensitive to gender issues, so I won't find the denigration of women or the attempt to cast the devil in a good light the least bit amusing.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Great review! I have just finished reading it and I have enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for your review.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Really good review but I think I'll pass on it. The spanking thing got me. :lol:
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”