Review by prinjeh18 -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
prinjeh18
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Review by prinjeh18 -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by prinjeh18 » 11 May 2018, 20:35

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Show me an alcoholic and I will show you a single man.
Duke Reynolds began his circus journey when he was young. His primary job was to help a kid on a pony ride. Over time, he was trained in different circus tricks. He learned to swallow a sword. How could he do this without killing himself? How could he swallow five swords or seven swords? Sad to relate, he also became dependent on drugs and cigarette's smoking. Will he remain an unmarried man as well? Why does he become an alcoholic man? One day, he meets a guy from Chico, California, named Garry. Duke's life inspires Garry's situation. How? Will Duke teach Garry to swallow a sword, too? Could he influence Garry of being an alcoholic? Why does Duke have a massive impact on Garry's life?

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid written by Gary Robinson will present us the life in the circus field. This book is under the science fiction genre. I will recommend this book to the person who likes to watch a magic show. Circus career captures my interest to discover this book. I ponder how the Circus personnel performs their tricks.

I like Duke's attitude towards friendship. He treats his fellow circus friends as his family. Duke had plenty of sufferings, but still trying to connect with his Circus Family. Circus career is also extremely dangerous. Why there are many people still risk their lives in this activity? What makes them happy in this kind of work? Are they happy doing this? What represents their story behind their mascot? However, the story has a drug scene which makes me don't recommend this book to minor audiences. I don't like this part that the leading character became addictive to drugs.

Duke's character is the typical attitude of a man who works in the circus. His body had many tattoos like the rock of ages and other characters that describes a criminal man. Drinking liquor as well as cigarette smoking is common in the scenario. I admire Duke's attitude because he never quits despite his unpleasant experiences. He still manages to encourage somebody of achieving the most proper things in life. I enjoy the scene of catching fish because it captures my interest. I love this part.

The book cover looks interesting because of the painting effects. The book is easy to decipher as well as the flow of the story. I did not encounter any typos or misspellings in reading this book. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The use of drug injection makes me disappoint to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prinjeh18's review? Post a comment saying so!

readandsmile
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile » 16 Jun 2018, 04:42

I wonder how Duke Reynolds cheated death? I can't imagine this kind of circus life existed this time.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Cotwani » 16 Jun 2018, 10:43

I'm glad that unlike me, you enjoyed this book. The continued drug addiction was really a downside. Thanks for your insightful review. Feel out to check out my own review of the same book.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Rufus by Jim Fayssoux

Post by teacherjh » 25 Jun 2018, 15:58

I like how you use questions to get the reader curious. Good review.
Latest Review: Rufus by Jim Fayssoux

gen_g
Currently Reading: I, Claudia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Just Drive by Deke N. Blue

Post by gen_g » 26 Jun 2018, 02:19

Thank you for your review! It's a pity about the errors, but I love your writing style.

benzharvey
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benzharvey.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by benzharvey » 28 Nov 2018, 00:08

Nice review. So scary for a man who swallowed a sword. I can't believe it that it's real. I can't imagined how Duke did it.

Jacci
2019 Reading Goal: 200
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Jacci » 28 Nov 2018, 03:05

So bad for being influenced by drugs like Duke and his fellows. Maybe drugs makes him unable to feel any pain when he swallowed the swords. My nerves are shaking when i imagined how Duke did this kind of job.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”