Review by Ronel_Steyn -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by Ronel_Steyn -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Different Kinds Of Monsters" by Seth Chambers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dylan Armitage is a man that has been fascinated with dinosaurs since the age of six, when he first saw the skeleton of a dinosaur at the museum. His love for these prehistoric beasts fuelled his imagination, which proved to be a good companion with a life lived on the road. His parents moved around a lot, sometimes packing up in the middle of the night to go on a new adventure. His adventures included its own monsters in every possible form, but he always felt a special connection with the allosaurus skeleton. Until he learns from his father that he isn’t the only Armitage with a bond with those ancient bones. We also meet First, an allosaurus, and have the privilege to learn of her thoughts and feelings. From hatchling to death, she learns, adapts and becomes a force to be reckoned with. Monsters from the past and monsters from the present. In a strange twist of fate, they meet for the ultimate showdown.

What I liked most about this book was how descriptive it was. The author has an amazing ability with words that pulled me into each scene. All my senses were fired up on every single page. I enjoyed reading about the thoughts and feelings of a prehistoric beast and how their lives were based solely on survival. I found the story gripping and interesting from start to finish. The characters were well described with full personalities. I also found use of the worst monsters in this book well thought out.

There were quite a few errors, but they didn’t distract from the flow of the story at all. In fact, I was privileged to a sneak peek of the author’s thought process while writing.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The plot was well planned, and the chapters follow well on each other. I enjoyed the shorter chapters and jumping between the present, past and prehistoric past of the allosaurus, as it bound the characters together. The more sensitive scenes were written with a unique grace and I respect the author for it even more.

I would recommend this book to any reader who has ever had a bit of wonder for dinosaurs. This book is not only insightful, but creative and imaginative as well. Even if a reader has no interest in the prehistoric part of this book, “The Different Kinds of Monsters” by Seth Chambers is worth a read.

The Different Kinds Of Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ronel_Steyn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Your review makes this book sounds so great. I mean I have come across a lot reviews for this book but I'm Eunice by your review. Thank you for making it sounds so great. I hope to read this read of I get a chance to do so. I hold it won't fail to surprise me.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems to be an amazing read. I really want to read more about Dylan and the allosaurus.

Thank you for the lovely review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I would recommend this book to any reader who has ever had a bit of wonder for dinosaurs.
I like reading about dinosaurs but you did not mention why you deducted a star from the rating. :?:
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 09:24
I would recommend this book to any reader who has ever had a bit of wonder for dinosaurs.
I like reading about dinosaurs but you did not mention why you deducted a star from the rating. :?:
The grammatical errors. That's the only reason for this book.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 09:35
Debjani Ghosh wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 09:24
The grammatical errors. That's the only reason for this book.
Ah! okay! it seems that the book could have benefitted from another round of editing.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is great to know that the book was well written, very descriptive, and kept you reading until the end. It does sound like people who like to read about dinosaurs would like this book. I wonder if Dylan and his family have to keep moving to get away from the monsters. Are the monsters all bad? The book cover looks very scary.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The prehistoric doesn't appeal much to me. I'm glad you enjoyed the book though. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It would be interesting to get into the mind of a dinosaur. The author was creative to describe this.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

LV2R wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 20:07 It is great to know that the book was well written, very descriptive, and kept you reading until the end. It does sound like people who like to read about dinosaurs would like this book. I wonder if Dylan and his family have to keep moving to get away from the monsters. Are the monsters all bad? The book cover looks very scary.
Good questions! Unfortunately only the book will be able to answer them.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

stacie k wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 17:34 It would be interesting to get into the mind of a dinosaur. The author was creative to describe this.
I loved that part of the book!
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Cotwani wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 15:14 The prehistoric doesn't appeal much to me. I'm glad you enjoyed the book though. Great review!
Thank you for commenting. It's appreciated.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! Interesting, especially where you commented: "Monsters from the past and monsters from the present. In a strange twist of fate, they meet for the ultimate showdown." Liking these sort of books I may have to check this one out. The plot seems original as well. Thanks for your informative review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Fantastic review! This was one of my earliest reviews on OBC. I absolutely loved the book, the parallel storylines and how they converge to a thrilling climax! If not for the editing issues, this book would have deserved a 4 star!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This is a compelling review for a book I wasn't really interested in until now. Nice job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”