Review by SamSim -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by SamSim -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked?, by William E. Combs, is a modern Christian's second look at the early chapters of Genesis, especially the Garden of Eden, but it is not just that. Revisiting Adam and Eve is the starting point of the book, but Combs discusses much more in the span of 10 chapters, covering concepts like the nature of sin, the meaning of spiritual death, and the source (and value!) of suffering. He explores the answers to questions such as: What does it mean to be "of little faith"? How do we hear God's voice?

I have mixed feelings about this book, although I appreciated many aspects of it. I loved the idea of figuratively dusting off the events described in Genesis and reexamining what the narrative really tells us. While I don't necessarily agree with all of Combs' conclusions or suggestions, reading Who Told You That You Were Naked? caused me to appreciate the story of Eden in a new way. The author's take on Biblical tales sparked some outside-of-the-box thinking about creation and the fall, stories that had sadly become so rote to me that they had practically lost their color.

Combs uses highly descriptive "vignettes" to help envelop the reader into the story of Biblical characters that may have become stilted or flat to us over years of reading the same fact-laden text. These narrative interludes fleshed out the Biblical account and reminded me that these were real people with emotions, needs, and depth. Also, the author's educational background and knowledge of the text in its original language played heavily into the concepts introduced. I found that words and phrases in the Bible that I had always taken for granted or just overlooked were suddenly very significant and demanded fresh attention.

I appreciate the format of this book, as each chapter is followed by several questions, encouraging the readers to examine the issues raised in the chapter and the corresponding scriptures for themselves and draw their own conclusions, rather than just accepting those of the author. This also makes Who Told You That You Were Naked? great for use in a study or discussion group. This book is peppered with Combs' personal anecdotes, which not only help to illustrate some of his points, but also keep it from feeling like a textbook.

Throughout the book, scripture is used to support the author's points, usually with a direct quote, but sometimes with just a chapter and verse source reference. This is helpful and makes it easy for the reader to follow Combs' reasoning by opening his or her own Bible. However, I found several of the scripture quotations or references to be in error. For example, in chapter 9, within the section titled "No Rest for the Israelites," the author references Exodus 13:28, which doesn't exist. In chapter 6, within the section titled "Christ's Sacrifice Fulfilled God's Righteousness," the verse quoted is 2 Corinthians 5:21, but it is cited as 2 Corinthians 5:23, and there is no such verse. I did not give this book a 4 rating because of these errors. I believe these mistakes would confuse readers who are newer to navigating the Bible and I also found that they undermine Combs' credibility. These inaccuracies, coupled with a few dead hyperlinks given in the footnotes, resulted in my giving Who Told You That You Were Naked? a rating of 3 out of 4.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SamSim's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

That's a great first(?) review - well done. I really like the quality of your analysis and applaud your diligence in checking out the biblical references.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

You've done a great job on this review! I, too, feel that the credibility is lost with the erroneous scripture references. However, I'm glad to hear that the book brought new life into your view of some Biblical passages!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Libs_Books wrote: 10 May 2018, 13:00 That's a great first(?) review - well done. I really like the quality of your analysis and applaud your diligence in checking out the biblical references.
This was, indeed, my first review. Thank you very much for your feedback. I have already enjoyed the quality of many of yours as well.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

stacie k wrote: 11 May 2018, 11:24 You've done a great job on this review! I, too, feel that the credibility is lost with the erroneous scripture references. However, I'm glad to hear that the book brought new life into your view of some Biblical passages!
Thank you! I really appreciate books that challenge what we think we know about theology. Either you come away with a shifted paradigm and a renewed sense of awe or you are strengthened in your existing beliefs because you were forced to ask yourself, "WHY do I believe these things?" Books such as these keep my faith from becoming stale. Thank you for reading my review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This was the first book I reviewed. I thought he brought out some deep questions. Good job catching the scripture references. I didn't double check those.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

teacherjh wrote: 11 May 2018, 14:24 This was the first book I reviewed. I thought he brought out some deep questions. Good job catching the scripture references. I didn't double check those.
Combs definitely didn't shy away from some tough subjects. Thank you for reading my review and for the feedback!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Personally, if I put this book together, I would put all the questions at the end. That way you can do a book club or discussion if you want, but you don't have to. Having them at the end of each chapter seems a bit overly didactic. But I haven't read the book, so I could be wrong! Thanks for your review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

AbbyGNelson wrote: 14 May 2018, 11:20 Personally, if I put this book together, I would put all the questions at the end. That way you can do a book club or discussion if you want, but you don't have to. Having them at the end of each chapter seems a bit overly didactic. But I haven't read the book, so I could be wrong! Thanks for your review!
That format would have worked just as well. I guess it just depends on whether or not the average reader gets annoyed with having to page back and forth but, honestly, with all the digital reading devices and apps now, that wouldn't be a big problem. Good idea and thanks for reading my review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you very much for the lovely review! Although it is indeed a great pity that the editor of the book did not catch the dead hyperlinks and the wrong Bible verse citations.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

gen_g wrote: 14 May 2018, 22:43 Thank you very much for the lovely review! Although it is indeed a great pity that the editor of the book did not catch the dead hyperlinks and the wrong Bible verse citations.
That is a shame. The dead hyperlinks might not have been dead at the time of publication, but I would think the Bible verses and references would have been diligently double-checked before publication. Thank you for reading my review!
Samantha Simoneau

crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for your excellent review. The author has certainly brought fresh energies to these bible characters. I must add this book to my shelf.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

crediblereading2 wrote: 15 May 2018, 14:28 Thank you for your excellent review. The author has certainly brought fresh energies to these bible characters. I must add this book to my shelf.
I'm happy that you enjoyed it and it made you want to read the book. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. Amazing that the author got his references wrong and well done you for noticing. I should think he’ll find that feedback invaluable.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Helen_Combe wrote: 16 May 2018, 12:06 Great review. Amazing that the author got his references wrong and well done you for noticing. I should think he’ll find that feedback invaluable.
I hope it is helpful. All the book really needs is some double-checking. Thank you for reading my review!
Samantha Simoneau

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”