Review by sharman dennis -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sharman dennis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharman-dennis.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by sharman dennis -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by sharman dennis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of Toni The Superhero

This book is designed for early readers. This book shows the day in the life of a young boy. Illustrations accompany the words so if early readers are having trouble decoding the picture can provide them assistance. This book truly provides an enriched language experience.

I was immediately drawn to this book because of the beautiful illustrations. The cover of the book is filled with objects that are contained in the book. This book can be used as a great teaching tool. This cover page allows for the reader to find the items on the different pages of the book, thus enhancing comprehension. This book is a great learning tool beyond the words on the pages, there are so many objects contained on the pages of the book that can be identified. This will allow for great language enrichment experience. There is fruit, there are animals, and everything is colorful, and with all the items contained in this book children can also learn about categories of objects. Children can also use this book to categorize colors by asking question such as ‘point to or tell me all of the objects that are blue or yellow or red or purple. Every page is filled with an action performed by Toni. This is a wonderful way for children to learn action words and model Toni. Because this is a day in the life of Toni this is a book that can be used to help children learn to sequence events. This book also reinforces the letter T, which can be found on each page.

This book is an example of a book that will enhance knowledge and language development for early readers. These are the reasons I liked the book.

I also was impressed that the spelling of this boy’s name is Toni with an “I” and not a “y”. This allows for gender neutrality regarding a name. To reinforce his name, and letter recognition Toni has a T on the front of his shirt. Toni is also a child of color and given the sparsity of books that show children of color this is significant.

This book is excellent for early readers because the three words that are repetitive throughout the book are ‘Toni, likes, to’. For early readers this repletion ins good for sight words and phonemic awareness.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like sharman dennis's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”