Review by Kendra M Parker -- The Sword Swallower and a C...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by Kendra M Parker -- The Sword Swallower and a C...

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson is a three part book that acts almost as a fictional memoir. In the preface, Robinson confirms that these stories are fictional, but they are told to honor his friendship with a circus sideshow sword swallower that he knew. There is such passion and a note of personal experience that comes through in the telling of these stories that it becomes difficult sometimes to remember that they are a work of fiction.

As I mentioned before, the book is divided into three parts. Part one tells the story of Duke Reynolds, a circus sideshow performer. When he was just fifteen years old, he ran away from home and joined a traveling circus. He was quickly adopted into the circus family, and eventually he learned several of the sideshow marvel acts from another performer. Duke's specialty became sword swallowing. Through part one, readers get to know Duke and understand what drives him. I actually found myself feeling a little like I had met and become friends with him by the end of the first part.

Part two and three work together very closely. In part two, we meet Gary. Gary has issues with alcohol and drugs from a young age, and those issues predictably impact his life. Eventually, he settles into the town of Chico, California, where he finally meets Duke one evening. Part three tells of the brief time Duke and Gary spend together and how Duke acts as an important influence in Gary's life.

The characters in the book had excellent depth and faced some serious issues in their lives. Duke's character was easy to like. His self-confidence and personal drive came through the story, and he never tried to blame someone else for his problems. I found that I had more trouble liking Gary, and perhaps that is because he represents the general malaise of a post-modern generation. Both characters grow and change through the book, and despite what you might feel for either character, there are some excellent themes to consider and ponder.

Readers should know that throughout the book, there is a significant amount of strong language. Drug and alcohol use and abuse are frequent thematic elements. Robinson always tries to pair deep thoughts and dark elements with a touch of humor to lighten the mood, but readers that have issues with these elements should probably avoid this book. Robinson also dabbles a bit in some spiritual matters, though this is not heavily emphasized or explored in any depth.

For me, this book falls somewhere between 2 and 3 stars, so I will round up and give it 3 out of 4 stars. I’m choosing to give it three stars because of how it provoked me to think about how our choices impact our lives and about how I could possibly pour my own life experiences into someone else. It looses points because I did not really enjoy the heavy focus on drugs and alcohol, and the strong language was a bit much, in my opinion. The book also loses a bit in my estimation because there were still editing marks scattered throughout the book. This tells me that it did not receive a final polish before publishing. Overall, I would recommend this book, with some reservations, to someone looking for an interesting story that will encourage a questioning attitude about traditionally held beliefs such as the meaning of family, friends and life.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I haven't read this book yet, but it sounds interesting. Stories which make me contemplate life are pretty intriguing. Hope I can get into it if I decide to give it a go. Thanks for the review!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

Thanks for the review! I'm still trying to decide if I should invest my time in reading this book, so your insights are very helpful.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think your review is very fair. The story of the two friends is moving but the language coupled with drug and alcohol scenes throw up barriers. Your writing is very interesting.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your detailed review; it is a novel that calls for introspection, both on the part of the characters and the readers. The author did put a lot of thought into writing it, and I loved the multi-dimensional characters that were created as a result.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 08 May 2018, 21:40 I think your review is very fair. The story of the two friends is moving but the language coupled with drug and alcohol scenes throw up barriers. Your writing is very interesting.
Thank you for that complement. I appreciate that encouragement!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

gen_g wrote: 10 May 2018, 08:36 Thank you for your detailed review; it is a novel that calls for introspection, both on the part of the characters and the readers. The author did put a lot of thought into writing it, and I loved the multi-dimensional characters that were created as a result.
I enjoyed the multi-dimensional characters as well. It was interesting to step outside my comfort zone a bit for this particular book of the month.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

ScoutWrites wrote: 08 May 2018, 09:26 Thanks for the review! I'm still trying to decide if I should invest my time in reading this book, so your insights are very helpful.
It definitely was not something I would normally choose, but with it being the book of the month, I decided to give it a try. I’m glad that I read it, though I probably would not have done so without this being the book of the month.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Tamorie21 wrote: 08 May 2018, 03:43 I haven't read this book yet, but it sounds interesting. Stories which make me contemplate life are pretty intriguing. Hope I can get into it if I decide to give it a go. Thanks for the review!
The first part of the book drew me in pretty quickly. Duke was easy to like, and I enjoyed his part of the story. Gary's story was important, but it did not capture me the same way. Still, I wanted to know about how he met Duke and how the tale finished, so it kept me going. Robinson wanted us to have a desire to sit down and try to talk some sense into Gary, and I think he succeeded. I hope you enjoy the book if you choose to read it!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Yeah the darker topics of this book would not be for me, but I'm glad you were able to get something good out of it! Thanks for your review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I've debated about reading this one. Your review is very thoughtful and informative.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like how your overall impression of the book highlights the positives and negatives, and that you rounded up in your review, taking into account an additional message the book left you with. Thanks for a great review!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

SABRADLEY wrote: 17 May 2018, 10:22 I like how your overall impression of the book highlights the positives and negatives, and that you rounded up in your review, taking into account an additional message the book left you with. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for those comments. I appreciate the feedback to help me make my reviews even better. It’s nice to know what people like so that I can make sure that I continue to include that in the future.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

teacherjh wrote: 16 May 2018, 19:54 I've debated about reading this one. Your review is very thoughtful and informative.
Thank you very much. I try to think about what I would want to know about a book and pass that along to others.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

AbbyGNelson wrote: 14 May 2018, 17:45 Yeah the darker topics of this book would not be for me, but I'm glad you were able to get something good out of it! Thanks for your review!
I would not have picked up this book without the book of the month selection. It allowed me to leave my comfort zone for a bit and helped me appreciate my favorite genres again.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”