Review by Ever_Reading -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Ever_Reading -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried is an interesting little boy and when I started reading Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! I thought I would be reading about his smelly socks. But boy, did I not get more than I bargained for? Because I ended up reading about rotten bananas, dog pee, messy uncles and his baby sister’s stained diapers. I am surprised I got to the end of the book without puking.

Illustrated and written by Len Foley, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a relatively good Children’s Fiction book that can appeal to – or disgust – young children everywhere. The book is most suitable for children between the ages of 5 and 12. This includes children who have just started reading; those who are starting to read longer books; as well as young girls and boys looking to expand their English vocabulary.

I loved the illustrations throughout the book. They are funny and a great way to keep a child’s attention until the end. They portray everyday items that children are used to seeing around the house and do a good job of showing Sigfried’s family and overall way of life.

I enjoyed how interactive the book is. It asks questions, which is a good way to engage the child reading. Also, it is written in the first person, so children will feel like they are a part of the book as they are reading. The structure of the book is also flexible. So, parents can choose to read it to their children as a bedtime story or let them read it on their own.

Perhaps the biggest mistake I made was to read this book while eating. It ruined my appetite and I found it hard to get to the end. Fortunately for me, it is only 27 pages long so my misery came to an end quite quickly.

I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. Although the book is well written, well-illustrated, and could possibly appeal to a great number of people, it wasn’t to my liking. I don’t give it a 1 because I think it can be used to encourage young children to clean up after themselves. It doesn’t get a 3 because it was disgusting to read, and I didn’t enjoy the ending.

So, for those with weak stomachs, read the book at your own risk. While you are at it, I will be washing my socks and cleaning my room! :wink:

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ever_Reading's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for your nice review sharing your opinion, i had little clue that reading this book could be disgusting, well author may want to encourage children about their hygene
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

sanjus wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 16:10 Thanks for your nice review sharing your opinion, i had little clue that reading this book could be disgusting, well author may want to encourage children about their hygene
That is quite true. I didn't consider it from that viewpoint. Thank you for commenting :)
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I've heard good things about the illustrations in the book but you have a point.:D A lot of nose-wrinkling from all the smelly stuff. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

JR Mercier wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 08:28 I've heard good things about the illustrations in the book but you have a point.:D A lot of nose-wrinkling from all the smelly stuff. Great review.
It is a great book for the young ones overall. And after reading some of the reviews I realise that I might have been a little too harsh on the poor book. :D Thank you for your comment!
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Yes last page ius not likable, i agree with you. You reviewed it well, keep it up.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”