Review by DrHyde_not_Jekyll -- Ironbark Hill

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DrHyde_not_Jekyll
Favorite Book: Beneath a Scarlet Sky
Currently Reading: What's Your Bio Strategy?
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drhyde-not-jekyll.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Review by DrHyde_not_Jekyll -- Ironbark Hill

Post by DrHyde_not_Jekyll »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ironbark Hill, by Jennie Linnane, is the coming-of-age story of 16-year old Natalie Chapman. Natalie lives in the small Australian town of Ironbark Hill with her mother, brother, two half-sisters, and stepfather, whom she hates. The book begins with a young Natalie witnessing her stepfather beating her mother. The seed of hate has been planted. The rest of the book focuses on a single year in Natalie’s life – told in her own words – her 16th year, which the reader soon learns is the most pivotal year in Natalie’s life.

Indeed, sweet 16 is often a pivotal year for young girls, and while Natalie does struggle with the typical adolescent struggles of a 16-year-old – bullying, body-image, family, and sex – Natalie also deals with struggles that most wouldn’t understand. Her brother has a mental disability, and she is the main and often recipient of her stepfather’s drink-induced rage. She loves her mother, but also holds conflicting feelings of contempt for her mother for failing to stand up to her stepfather and kicking him out of the house for good. While she feels a large part of her identity is tied to her father, she barely remembers him, and must learn secrets of the past from her sweet grandfather.

As the story weaves on, issues of race, faith, family ties, and morality are expertly and delicately handled. Though fiction, this could be someone’s memoir. Linnane expertly brings the reader into Natalie’s life. I could see the town of Shannondale shrouded in fog on an early morning as Natalie rode her bike down the hill to work. I winced in pain along with Natalie as her stepfather beat her. I could smell the hungry earth as it drank up the rain that finally fell upon Ironbark Hill – and brought a cleansing that not even Natalie could have expected or hoped for. Once Natalie realizes that her 17th birthday is just around the corner, she has grown up in more ways than one, and almost doesn’t recognize the person she has become.

Although Natalie is the focal character of the book, each character is expertly crafted, and the reader can relate, even in a little way, to each one – including Natalie’s abusive stepfather. Australian and German accents are perfectly captured in Linnane’s writing. And, I found only a few grammatical errors: misplaced commas that didn’t affect the flow of the book at all.

Ironbark Hill was fantastic. I give it four out of four stars. I was truly impressed with Linnane’s skill at weaving tough questions of race, faith, and freedom into a believable story of growing up. I think that just about anyone could find enjoyment from this book, but those who enjoy memoir-like novels and new and refreshing challenges to their worldviews and beliefs will especially enjoy this book.

Ironbark Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DrHyde_not_Jekyll's review? Post a comment saying so!
EbsanZaman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EbsanZaman »

A very good book. And it is very interesting story. Thank for the book.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

DrHyde_not_Jekyll wrote: 05 May 2018, 16:04 Linnane expertly brings the reader into Natalie’s life. I could see the town of Shannondale shrouded in fog on an early morning as Natalie rode her bike down the hill to work. I winced in pain along with Natalie as her stepfather beat her. I could smell the hungry earth as it drank up the rain that finally fell upon Ironbark Hill – and brought a cleansing that not even Natalie could have expected or hoped for. Once Natalie realizes that her 17th birthday is just around the corner, she has grown up in more ways than one, and almost doesn’t recognize the person she has become.
Just ... Wow. Your review expertly brought me to the decision to read this book. This review, in itself, was satisfying to read. The book that inspired it must be awesome. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
DrHyde_not_Jekyll
Favorite Book: Beneath a Scarlet Sky
Currently Reading: What's Your Bio Strategy?
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drhyde-not-jekyll.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by DrHyde_not_Jekyll »

Thank you so much for your kind words. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds intensely emotional. Thanks for the detailed review.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

Natalie is definitely plagued by a lot of issues even at her young age. A sad story that I hope has a happy ending. This is a good review. :tiphat:
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”