Review by Jillpillbooknerd -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris S...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by Jillpillbooknerd -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris S...

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes is about a woman named Rynah who must go on an adventure after her home planet of Lanyr is destroyed. After she is betrayed by someone close to her, Rynah escapes the destruction on a ship named Solaris. They embark on a journey guided by an ancient story from Rynah's home planet and are joined by four other companions.

I will start off by saying that this book was entertaining in the long run. Other than that, there aren't many good things to say about this book. It was a quick light read and would probably be good for teens who won't see all of the editing mistakes and other issues.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The editing and grammar errors were so many that they were very distracting. They took me so out of the story that it was hard to stay focused on what I was reading. The first error occurred on the very first page of the book. The first page had a white background that the first few paragraphs were on and once you flipped to the next page the white background was gone. That in itself did not bother me. What bothered me was the fact that the last few sentences from page one were repeated at the top of page two. This was not a great first impression. Another thing that was not a mistake per se but was very annoying were the multiple pictures throughout the book. Because of the incorrect formatting of the pictures, this often left large gaps right in the middle of a sentence. The first time this happened I thought part of the book was missing until I turned to the next page. Also, these pictures are not professional. They look like Clip Art that you would get from Microsoft Word. When a picture is included it should at least reflect what is being described. Most of the time the action that was happening in the book was nowhere near what was being shown in the pictures. This was another reason that the book was hard to read. Every time I would stop and look at a picture it would take me out of the book completely. One of the things that bothered me the most was all of the run-on sentences. Every page had multiple run-on sentences, some lasting for whole paragraphs. Very few paragraphs went by without a run-on sentence or whole sentences within parenthesis.

The characters were another miss for me. The main character Rynah was just plain mean. She seemed to have no development throughout the book except to get meaner the farther they go from Lanyr. Especially to one of the other characters. She constantly berates her for not being brave throughout the entire book and bullies her for no reason that I could perceive. The only good character in the book was the ship, Solaris. She was kind to the crew, loyal, and called out Rynah when she was being cruel. Solaris had a backstory and actually had a personality.

Solaris Seethes needed to be edited so much more. I think with the correct editing and removal of some gimmicky things this would be a great book. It has the bones of a good story and mostly interesting characters. But as it is right now this seems more like a rough draft than a completed book that people would pay money to read.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Jillpillbooknerd's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”