Review by cpru68 -- Boom! A Revolting Situation

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Review by cpru68 -- Boom! A Revolting Situation

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Boom! A Revolting Situation" by Thomas Richard Harry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If we consider America to be one big dysfunctional family, we can say that the Democrats and the Republicans are sparring siblings, and the Independents are the children who play quietly in the corner fully aware of the uproar. In his book, Boom! A Revolting Situation, Thomas Richard Harry highlights the silent majority that has been an under-reported component of our political system. He provides the reader an opportunity to get to know who these 'non-committed' voters are and how they would like to see our country governed.

Before the author can bring to light who these rogue constituents are among us, he first writes at length of how our government was formed. Even though the title speaks of an impending revolution on our political horizon, the author explains the foundation of why an uprising is at hand due to the increasing dissatisfaction of having our two-party system accomplish next to nothing. In this section of the book, it was as if I were listening to a trial lawyer lay out his argument to the jury to present evidence of the failures that have ensued, and the guilt that can be laid at the feet of both Democrats and Republicans. The author includes quotes and statements from other publications along with graphs to make his points clear. For those who want to know more about why we are in the chaotic state of affairs of today, this part of the book brings enlightenment without one-sided judgment. He simply presents the facts and lets the reader come to an understanding of where our representatives have lost sight of the people they were supposed to serve.

Once the audience is given background information as to where our political problems stem from, the author then goes on to discuss the growing number of Independent voters. I was astonished to learn that what is often an ignored group is a sizeable forty percent of our public. This means that each party that prevails in our elections are only receiving about thirty percent a piece of straight party-line votes while the rest of the wins are being determined by the Independents who choose the candidates who reflect their viewpoint the closest. With a large number like this, he makes the suggestion that at any time, those who are not wanting to side with one party or the other could band together and create a third, more cohesive unit to come in and shake up the status quo. This sounds foreign and it seems farfetched, but the author articulates a solid plan that we may one day see play out in our political arena.

I enjoyed his explanations on how we could revamp our campaign donations, our social security system as well as how we could be better stewards of our tax money. Most of what he says involves making it fair for the majority of people most of the time. This doesn't mean everyone is going to be completely happy, but the goal is to bring us back more toward the center, or what he states as a balance to combat our left and right driven political swings. I am reminded of the lyrics from an old 70's song titled 'Stuck In the Middle With You'. The main lyric proclaims: "Clowns to the left me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you." This falls right in line with the Independent voter who wants a more moderate approach to our country's decision-making process.

History and political books such as this one are not intended for light reading. I would guess that most people would shy away from these heavy topics because there are other genres that are more entertaining. However, I believe that if you are living in America, then you should be educated about your country. It harkens back to the time in your life when your mother told you to eat your broccoli and you wanted to dive into a big bowl of ice cream. While vegetables are important for physical well being and growth, so is the nature of this work. You will grow intellectually from reading the material. It will make you think instead of accepting what you have been told to be true. This well-written book is intended for those citizens who desire to know facts instead of surmising, to be able to engage in intelligent, meaningful conversations regarding important social issues that we all have to face and to hold accountable our representatives who make campaign promises.

I found only a few notable capitalization mistakes along the way such as the words government and balance. I was assuming the author was capitalizing these to emphasize his passion in regard to these subjects, and if that is the case, it would remain to have the same amount of impact had they been properly written. With that said, the book appears to have been diligently proofread so these slight infractions do not take away from the integrity of the material. I am giving this a 4 out of 4 stars for its in-depth exposure of our off the rails political system.

Boom! A Revolting Situation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Sounds like an interesting nonfiction read, and I don't read much nonfiction. Seems like more people need to read this so they can understand the history and reasoning behind our political system more. Thanks for the review!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 08 May 2018, 12:14 Sounds like an interesting nonfiction read, and I don't read much nonfiction. Seems like more people need to read this so they can understand the history and reasoning behind our political system more. Thanks for the review!
A political book is not my usual type of read, but I found myself so drawn in to this one. My ears were much more perked up when the news would come on tv and have a political bent to it. I learned so much from this one. I have now reconsidered my choices and won't be so quick to put a history book back on the shelf. Thanks for reading my review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

As a British, I was quite surprised to learn that 40% of voters in the U.S. are independent (I think I'd prefer the term non-aligned). This was a very informative review, thanks. I also loved the 'Stuck in the Middle' quote and the 'eat your broccoli' analogy.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

That sounds like a really interesting and informative book. You’re right, I would have shied away from it, but it sounds like it should be read. Thank you
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Libs_Books wrote: 09 May 2018, 01:10 As a British, I was quite surprised to learn that 40% of voters in the U.S. are independent (I think I'd prefer the term non-aligned). This was a very informative review, thanks. I also loved the 'Stuck in the Middle' quote and the 'eat your broccoli' analogy.
I was surprised to learn that 40 percent statistic as well! Our media, I believe, downplays it so we don't really know the alarming truth. I like your term of non-aligned. Because, after all, we are all independent in our choices. Thanks for reading my review.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 09 May 2018, 05:33 That sounds like a really interesting and informative book. You’re right, I would have shied away from it, but it sounds like it should be read. Thank you
Thank you for reading my review. The book made me see our political situation in a whole new way. The author is very knowledgeable.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really informative book on American politics - not really my type, but definitely ought to be read. The media isn't always trustworthy, and I guess it is up to us to discern what they aren't telling us whenever we read/watch the news! Thank you for the detailed review.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I follow politics pretty closely and find it very interesting, but I'm not affiliated with a political party. I almost read this book, but went for a "lighter" read, as you suggested some readers may do, because I needed a break from the political discourse that is happening now. After reading your review, I've decided to put it on my "Want To Read" list so it will be in my reading queue.

Thanks for a great review.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

gen_g wrote: 12 May 2018, 09:46 This sounds like a really informative book on American politics - not really my type, but definitely ought to be read. The media isn't always trustworthy, and I guess it is up to us to discern what they aren't telling us whenever we read/watch the news! Thank you for the detailed review.
It was an eye opener for me! Thank you for reading my review.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

dtb wrote: 14 May 2018, 11:24 I follow politics pretty closely and find it very interesting, but I'm not affiliated with a political party. I almost read this book, but went for a "lighter" read, as you suggested some readers may do, because I needed a break from the political discourse that is happening now. After reading your review, I've decided to put it on my "Want To Read" list so it will be in my reading queue.

Thanks for a great review.
It's not a light read, so just be prepared for that. In the following days since reading the author's viewpoint, and I see some issue come up, I think...hey, if only we would consider some of his ideas! The book has made me think deeper and not just take things at face value. I think he helped me see that I am more of an independent voter than I thought I was! :) Thank you for reading my review.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

I enjoyed reading your review! I'm glad you got so much from the book
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Your review is so well-written! We must eat our vegetables! You're right to say I'd rather read something else, but of we are going to complain about government, then we should learn about it, too. Thanks!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

PaigeA wrote: 15 May 2018, 10:53 I enjoyed reading your review! I'm glad you got so much from the book
Thank you! That is so nice to hear. I was and still am so surprised by the knowledge that was in this book.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

bb587 wrote: 16 May 2018, 15:21 Your review is so well-written! We must eat our vegetables! You're right to say I'd rather read something else, but of we are going to complain about government, then we should learn about it, too. Thanks!
Yes! Ice cream will always have its place in my heart! Thank you for reading my review. It was a good match between me and the book. I like it when I still learn new things. Thank you for reading my review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”