Review by Jessicawriteread -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Jessicawriteread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicawriteread.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Jessicawriteread -- Toni the Superhero

Post by Jessicawriteread » 30 Apr 2018, 19:44

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have an 18 month old son right now. I have been on the hunt for great children books and found nothing for so long. I'm a very selective mom. I don't want just any book. I want a book with some kind of story without being too complicated. This book matched my requirements because even though it doesn't have much plot, it still delivers a good experience for the young mind and my heart.

Toni the Superhero by R.D Base tells a story about a young superhero and what he does when he's not using his superpowers.

Although, Toni is depicted as a hero because he is shown mostly wearing superhero clothing, he is also portray as an ordinary kid who enjoy reading, swimming and playing with friends. Reading this book will tell kids that being a hero is not always saving the world and that even heroes also needs a break. That said I feel that Toni is in fact a full-time hero. The things he does will inspire kids to be helpful, sweet, loving, kind and friendly. And most importantly, it teaches various lessons in a simple but effective way. It tells young children how important it is to help out around the house and care for animals. It also educates healthy eating and good sleeping habits. Toni is a perfect role model.

I'm almost 33 years old, and I totally enjoyed this book and would recommend it for parents who are looking for a good quality book that will entertain them and at the same time teaches them moral lessons.

The art of this book is lovely. Eye catching and colorful which the kids are sure to love. Although, I wish the illustrations have more shadows and deeper perspective but maybe I'm picky.

What I like the most about this book is that the main character, Toni. Toni is not a white kid like most of the children book I encountered. Toni is a brown (black?) boy with white friends, which, again, subtly educates kids not to pick their friends based on the color of their skins or their race.

What I don't like with the book is the word "little" in the summary. It is one of the reason that I'll rate this book 3 out of 4 stars . I would have love to rate it 4 out of 4 but the summary really bothers me. You see, I don't like pointing out that kids are little (even if they are) hence, the reason why I used "young" instead of little in my review. The summary is also the reason why I need contemplate if I should buy the print or not.

Summary aside, <i>Toni the Superhero</i> is perfect for reading together your dear child, especially as a bedtime story.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jessicawriteread's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”