Review by Amondi Oluoch -- Lemoncella Cocktail

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Review by Amondi Oluoch -- Lemoncella Cocktail

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

First and foremost I would like to begin by saying that I don't think anyone has beaten me at reading this book, not even the author herself.

Lemoncella Cocktail is a collection of errors from all aspects; grammatical, spelling and even contextual errors. Characters' monologues and points of view are not italicized creating a major dispute in understanding what the author actually tries to bring out in her piece of writing.

Right from the very beginning I noticed errors that down weighed my liking for the book at first sight. It takes more than being a determined reviewer to actually be patient enough to read this book through; for my love for written art, I was humbled enough to complete it, through all thick and thin that emerged. It is my chivalrous nature that saw me through it.

This review shouldn't be taken personally rather as a stair-step to better enhancement and success of Lemoncella Cocktail. It would be my greatest happiness to see this book become an award winning book. If I were to list all the errors, I just might end up writing another half Lemoncella Cocktail, which is so devastating, but I'm not trying to scrutinize it in whichever way.

Away with the errors, Lemoncella Cocktail is a mystery novel that sheds some light into the illegal business of arms trafficking. It is a business with a high turnout but lots of risks as Oscar Calander's case highlights.

It has become a major point of concern that the Ministry of Defence has come up with a strategy to help curb the ongoing threat. Andre Des Pres from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) together with his secretary Mr Lucien Borodin from the Communication Security Establishment (CSE) are given the mandate to form and head the special unit, Task Force 101, that will hopefully bring a solution to the problem.

It is a project that turns out to be mysteriously involving, more to their expectations as they are forced to disguise themselves to protect the lives of others and to help get hold of Oscar and his tradesmen.

Amelia McLeod who's family is under investigations for the named arms trafficking is in the run for her dear life as her boyfriend, Oscar Calander is set to kill her. She is his biggest threat as she had witnessed the trade out of her shear naiveness. It is a major turn of events as lives are threatened.

At some point the author confuses her characters assigning them names she didn't assign them at the beginning. This turns out to be a major setback in reading the book.

Characters' monologues and points of view are not italicized, causing a major dispute in her writing. It proved a challenge to actually distinguish the author's view from her characters'.

Every piece of writing has an inspirational story at it's core. As much as there may be a multitude of helping characters, the main characters should be highlighted to help shape the story; to give it an intended meaning.Lemoncella Cocktail lacks such as each character tends to play more or less the same role in the story. I find it quit insipid for a character to dominate in a chapter only to disappear almost in the remaining parts of the book, yet they are perceived as the centre stage in the book.

As much as I am made to believe Lemoncella Cocktail is a mystery novel, I found it lacked a specific genre as it appeared more of a recipe book and towards the end, a romantic intermezzo. I understand that the author did all that to make her book all round and involving, but overdoing it turned out to be something else.

I don't like suspense; being left to answer my own questions, but that doesn't necessarily mean an author should give out so much spoilers to their work. This book has a lot of such. I ended up getting almost all my guesses right, at which point I usually find my self bored of an article and start scrutinizing the book for being less appealing. The author used to be a story teller way back since her schooling days, and if she could hold her peers' attention, then she is even at a better position to do so to her readers. I love a witty author, that keeps me turning the pages, skipping a meal all in the name of reading a novel.

Rene Natan has ten publications, which I'm yet to ascertain to, varying from suspense romance to thrillers, yet I'm still considered this her very first. Her being a professor in Information Technology doesn't limit her from doing highly notable works; like she sampled in this book Harry Potter's or Star Trek.

Foresight allows for prevention and together they are often the key to success. So unless she wants hers to remain dreams that never see the light of the day, then she wouldn't consider making adjustments to Lemoncella Cocktail.

With the above in mind, I'd rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars. I'd have considered giving it a lower rating but it's title and cover caught my interest luring me into selecting it. I wouldn't recommend this book for reading at any given time unless by a professional editor and wordsmith for which it will actually turn out into a very nice book.

Lemoncella Cocktail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amondi Oluoch's review? Post a comment saying so!
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It's a shame it was so poorly edited as to be hard to read.
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

teacherjh wrote: 03 May 2018, 13:20 It's a shame it was so poorly edited as to be hard to read.
I tried my best to read it through though. I didn't want to disappoint the author. You know books are sent to be reviewed in order to rectify the errors that may have passed through, and failing to do that makes one feel so belittled.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It is very much a pity when books are not edited properly, as it not only is a turn off, it also stops the reader from being immersed in the story. That being said, thank you for your detailed review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It is a pity that such an accomplished author, having 10 publications, did not invest in professional editing. Sorry, you had to call on your chivalrous nature to complete the book! I have immensely enjoyed reading your review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”