Review by gen_g -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Review by gen_g -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by gen_g »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Romance novels have generally been a guilty pleasure of the female reader – even more titillating if it comes with a generous helping of suspense, thrills, and sexy times. Therefore, when I came across Kaylin McFarren’s Twisted Threads, I could not help but select it for a review.

The novel is the fourth book in McFarren’s Threads series, and tells the story of Akira Hamada, a tired geisha-reluctantly-turned-assassin, who is given a rare chance to get out of the Yakuza to start over her life, after completing this last job. She is tasked with finding out and permanently taking down Keiko Mitsui’s murderer, the sister of the head of the Yakuza. She meets Devon Lyons, a rich dissolute with a cynical outlook on life on board the cruise the murderer is on, and intends to seduce him in an attempt to find the murderer. However, she falls in love with him, and has to deal with the fallout of her deception when Devon realises her true identity.

Twisted Threads has a very compelling murder mystery, and McFarren is able to describe her characters and settings in exquisite detail, allowing the reader to fully immerse himself/herself into the story. On the other hand, McFarren has a tendency to get carried away with superfluous details, which detracts from the main plotline. I would have liked to see a deeper exploration of the romance between Devon and Akira in lieu of the minor storylines she weaves into the novel; personally, this would have kept the plot moving to constantly engage the reader’s attention.

Also, for Twisted Threads to supposedly be marketed as Akira’s story, it has disappointingly few chapters in Akira’s perspective. The bulk of the chapters are written from Devon’s perspective and his thoughts on Akira; this was a pity, as I felt that equal, if not more attention ought to have been given to Akira for the reader to understand her thoughts and emotions whilst she is struggling to come to terms with the budding feelings of love she feels for Devon, the ultimate no-no in Assassination 101 (one does not develop feelings for one’s target). Due to this, the romance between Devon and Akira felt unnatural and one-sided. The romance would have been more effective if their perspectives were interwoven in each chapter of the novel – the reader would have been able to better empathise with the characters, making it a more meaningful and interesting read.

Regrettably, Devon’s character was not well thought out, as he is particularly prone to childish tantrum outbursts, coupled with a tendency to conflate lust with love. Devon’s declarations of love for Akira almost always have to do with her body, and the explicit scenes between them only affirms his sexual objectification of her. Also, whilst the idea of the stunning Japanese assassin who falls in love lends the romance an exotic and appealing twist, McFarren has fallen into the trap of Orientalising Akira, which is especially troubling in a story with a predominantly white setting – Devon is not in love with Akira as she is, but instead with his idea of Akira.

All in all, whilst Twisted Threads has some glaring faults, it still is a somewhat engaging read. I would, however, encourage interested readers to start from Book 1, as it does get confusing from time to time, since it references events prior to the start of the novel. I would rate this novel 2 out of 4, as McFarren’s portrayal of Japanese culture is exotic and glamourous at its best, grossly patronising at worst. A saving grace is that there were almost no flaws in formatting and grammar.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gen_g's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Thank you for your insightful review! I hadn't read the book, and was thinking of picking it up for a read-through--I'm glad I came across this post :)

I might still read it, it seems like the kind of book you might want to take to the beach for a bit of light reading, but not something to delve extremely deeply into. Thank you for talking about the orientalism though, I was a bit apprehensive when I read the summary :x
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 02 May 2018, 10:48 Thank you for your insightful review! I hadn't read the book, and was thinking of picking it up for a read-through--I'm glad I came across this post :)

I might still read it, it seems like the kind of book you might want to take to the beach for a bit of light reading, but not something to delve extremely deeply into. Thank you for talking about the orientalism though, I was a bit apprehensive when I read the summary :x
Thank you for your reply! Yes, it was indeed disappointing to read this novel. Having read so many romances (as well as being a fan of the romance genre), it was regrettable that there could have been so much more done to make the plot and characters more believable, instead of falling into the sexist and patriarchal tropes commonly found.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

momschellsr wrote: 15 May 2018, 11:34 I think Devon's character is one lacking real definition as well. I think if the author had went into his character more, it would be a good idea. We read all about Akira but very little about Devon. Sometimes we know more about his parents than we do him. You are correct in using "under-developed". Akira's character is somewhat more developed in my opinion than Devon's though. This is just my opinion and I appreciate your comment on my review. Thank you
No no, thank you for your reply! Apologies, I am quoting you here as I only just realised that you have replied me. (: I do agree with you that Akira's character is definitely more developed when compared to Devon's - a pity indeed, since there was so much unfulfilled potential in this novel. I would also prefer it if McFarren had showed us, instead of told us, about what Akira was thinking, as this made it seem her character a lot flatter than she wanted to portray it as.
momschellsr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momschellsr.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by momschellsr »

I appreciate that.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

You have articulated well what I could not pinpoint about the main protagonists love story. You also clearly pointed out what is wrong with Devon. He is infantile.Although more mature, Akira's character still lacks character despite the awesome background and skills she's supposed to have. Thanks for this gen g! Awesome review! And very kind of you to compliment mine! :)
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

julessawyer wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 23:47 You have articulated well what I could not pinpoint about the main protagonists love story. You also clearly pointed out what is wrong with Devon. He is infantile.Although more mature, Akira's character still lacks character despite the awesome background and skills she's supposed to have. Thanks for this gen g! Awesome review! And very kind of you to compliment mine! :)
No, thank YOU for stopping by! :) Tbh, Devon seriously annoyed me when I was reading the book. It was a pity though, since the premise was interesting, don't you think? I really appreciate your kind comments!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for the informative review on this book and helping me to understand author references other book in the story and without which reader may not get complete familiarization with the plot.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

sanjus wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 11:15 Thanks for the informative review on this book and helping me to understand author references other book in the story and without which reader may not get complete familiarization with the plot.
Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

It's amazing.She set out to seduce him to get information, but ended up falling in love with him.What a twist! I can imagine there a lot of other twists in the story.Sounds like a must-read for me.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sweet Psamy wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 04:46 It's amazing.She set out to seduce him to get information, but ended up falling in love with him.What a twist! I can imagine there a lot of other twists in the story.Sounds like a must-read for me.
It was an interesting premise. I hope that you will enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Thank you for the honest review. I do like romantic thrillers but I think that I might pass. It had a nice plot.
:techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 23:10 Thank you for the honest review. I do like romantic thrillers but I think that I might pass. It had a nice plot.
Thanks for stopping by!
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

This book seems like it has a promising premise so it's a pity that it falls behind in many of the aspects you've mentioned. I particularly love the analysis of Devon's character and his relationship with Akira. Given that he spent so much time narrating the novel, the author should have taken the opportunity to develop his character further. Either way, congratulations on the wonderful review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sahar Majid wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 04:17 This book seems like it has a promising premise so it's a pity that it falls behind in many of the aspects you've mentioned. I particularly love the analysis of Devon's character and his relationship with Akira. Given that he spent so much time narrating the novel, the author should have taken the opportunity to develop his character further. Either way, congratulations on the wonderful review!
Indeed, so whilst reading the book, I just felt slightly disappointed because so much more could have been done. Thank you for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”