Review by butterflyinaweb -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
butterflyinaweb
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 240
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflyinaweb.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Review by butterflyinaweb -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by butterflyinaweb » 29 Apr 2018, 02:51

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak initially starts out in a prison ran by an organization called The Council. The Reverend or rather Arthur has voluntarily subjected himself to be an inmate here years prior to this particular day for his crimes and for his longing to kill again. Arthur subjects himself to self inflicted cleansing rituals regularly for his sins as part of his self appointed sentence here. On this particular day Frieda, a member of the council has came and interrupted his cleansing ritual seeking his help. It seems 3 little girls who are rescues have come up missing and 3 of the council's hunters are dead. One of which was Arthur's own. Abigail; a rescue he himself had taken in as his own and trained himself. Arthur agrees to help but to avenge her death by getting his hands on her killer.

Once in Raven's Peak after passing two of the bodies he realizes that his Abigail is not among the dead. He starts to find hope that he may be able to find her but as he enters the church he is face to face with Abigail only it's not just his Abigail he is facing. Abigail has been possessed by a demon. Arthur must battle this demon if there is any hope of saving his Abigail or the 3 little girls. Arthur does indeed outwit the demon to save them just before he is taken himself.

The story jumps ahead to 5 months later. Haatim is a writer whose topics on religion inspires people in their faith. Although recently he has lost his sister to a long bout with cancer that has left him without any faith of his own, No longer is he inspired to write on these same topics but he is at a loss for any other to write about. Until he is propositioned by a rather grimy man by the name of George Wertman to tail a woman who is stalking him to get proof in the form of photographs that he can give to police that would prove that she is indeed stalking him. Haatim is sure the man is just paranoid but he needs the money and hasn't much interest in speaking to his parents to ask them for any at this time. Although he has no experience nor does he even think the man is anything but paranoid he agrees convincing himself that he can use this experience as a new topic to write in his blog. He finds the woman is indeed tailing Mr. Wertman but doesn't think she has any desire to kill him.

Even as Haatim realizes he is wrong and that she has killed Mr. Wertman he has no choice but to trust her, Abigail because she has saved him from the very demon who possessed George Wertman who had marked him at he and Mr. Wertman's first encounter. The whole situation makes Haatim's head spin as one reality after another is revealed to him as Abigail undauntedly protects him time and again on this newly found adventure he has found himself in and he has little desire to return to his life even though she tells him he is safe. After all what was he going back to his apartment was all but destroyed and even though he wasn't worried about a place to stay due to the fact his parents paid for it. Did he really want to return to a life where all he had to look back on were the months he'd spent grieving the loss of his sister? Ever still Was he really safe?

More realities soon come exposed to Haatim as he enters Raven's Peak with Abigail even about his own father. Soon more than he really is prepared to digest is in his awareness as they continue their journey together along with this growing ever present respect for Abigail and her total selflessness. Soon Haatim finds similar qualities within himself along with a newfound confidence and awakening of who he is and wants to be. Only there is much to face ahead for Abigail and himself.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I really did not want to give away much of the story line here. I already feel as though I may have said too much. I feel the author has a great potential but I had a growing sense at the end of every chapter that he was rushing through writing the book. I even felt that I, the reader was actually being rushed through reading it. Most of the chapters end amid a scene and I feel the author could have slowed down some. Possibly he was trying to create more chapters before one would end. I have never read a book where the chapters ended in such a way so At least that was how it felt to me. I did however enjoy the book despite the frustration at the end of those chapters and the ending felt even more so rushed through. I feel he could have taken more time at the end. There were way too many dead ends here. In a series there is usually a little more closure at the end of each book with only a little there to let you know it could be continued. However in Raven's peak it's wide open and everything is left hanging. So if there wasn't a series to follow the reader would be left in total frustration.

I really enjoyed the characters. I truly appreciated how the author made you feel as if you were actually meeting these characters on a personal level. Although Arthur struck me as some evil monster of a man to start with. I was totally excited about how the author had given you that in depth personal view that Arthur had of himself before showing you how others viewed him. I was totally captivated by Abigail. She is a very strong character. Her strength and dedication to finding Arthur put me in mind of how I was in my search for my own son the two years he was missing. I totally related to Haatim on more than one level. I really appreciated how every stage of how he was digesting each and every new found reality before he really came into his own there towards the end. I feel the author did a great job setting up each scene within the story line. Having lived in a place where the town was below the original town once myself. I enjoyed how he had the creativity to do this with Raven's Peak. How he has written this book. I had no trouble picturing anything that was occurring. I almost could picture being there. It would make an awesome movie in my opinion. The story line was quite captivating. Once I started reading I really didn't want to stop. I am a big fan of the supernatural so for me the book struck me as very interesting. I am eager to read more in this series. I just hope the author does take a little more time in writing them. Even if he didn't I would still be interested in reading them.

I feel as if I say much more about what I loved about this book that I am going to totally give the story line away so I will end it here. To the author .. kudos and relax you have true talent. Take your time.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like butterflyinaweb's review? Post a comment saying so!

meadhbh
2018 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by meadhbh » 30 Apr 2018, 01:52

I'm a big fan of fantasy. However, I feel like the whole demon possession thing has been done before. I'm not sure whether this particularly offers anything new to the genre. Sounds like it has potential though.

Dolor
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 7
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Favorite Author: Eliot H. Robinson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4360
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: Time Trap: Red Moon Trilogy book 1 by Micah Caida
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 105359

Post by Dolor » 02 May 2018, 13:38

I have noticed that the first 5 paragraphs of you review are in bold fonts. Your review must conform to the proper layout in order to gain higher reviewer score.

I don't understand what you mean by "Arthur subjects himself to self-infected cleansing rituals".

I'm sorry to hear that the book's story made you feel that it's narrated in a rush.

Thanks for the great review.

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by teacherjh » 02 May 2018, 14:01

Welcome to the forum. This book sounds intense. Take a look at other people's reviews to give you more ideas for your next review.

butterflyinaweb
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 240
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflyinaweb.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by butterflyinaweb » 07 May 2018, 01:36

Thank you all for the helpful advice. To Dolar : It was in reference to the author's description. Basically Arthur was giving himself lashes from a crop like whip.

SABRADLEY
Currently Reading: A Hole in my Road
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabradley.html
Latest Review: The Life and Times of a Black Prince in America (book one) by Robin R Rabii

Post by SABRADLEY » 07 May 2018, 14:48

Based on the darkness of the theme, I don't think this book is for me. It's obvious you put a great deal of time and effort into your review and those efforts are appreciated :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”