Review by Delioness -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Delioness
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by Delioness -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by Delioness » 28 Apr 2018, 08:14

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book 'Randy Love...at your service' by Shay Carter, centers on the life of Randy Love, who happens to be the protagonist of the play. The narration is set in modern day England. The book is divided into 25 chapters and 262 pages, with each chapter of the book focusing on an aspect of Randy's life.

Randy was portrayed as an unexpected child born after his parents, John and Marjorie Love, had struggled and succeeded to ensure that his two elder siblings, James and Heather were successfully established. Randy was good looking and charming, which made his Father refer to him as a chip off the old block. From a tender age, Randy learnt the art of manipulation. His hyperactive nature can be said to be one of the causes of his mother’s death, as he always got the poor woman worn out. His lack of interest in all activities was evident in his academic life. He was in his third year when he lost all ambitions of returning to school, though he failed to mention to his father that he had to repeat one extra year before continuing with his academics that is if he was to return to school.

The author, Shay Carter, deftly follows the life of Randy Love as he grows into adulthood, and struggles to take responsibility for himself. Since losing interest in academics, Randy ventures into the world of work with the intention of earning high returns with minimal effort. This causes a disruption in his social life, which prompts his decision to seek employment as a permanent staff, notwithstanding the reduction in his pay. Adding to his list of vices, Randy was a womanizer, and found it very difficult to leave his belt on, especially when ladies were flocking around him like bees on honey, as a result of his charms and good looks.

He also has some good qualities one of which includes rationality. He constantly depended on his family to incessantly help him out of unavoidable accommodation issues, and his good sense of humor portrays him as a jolly personality as well a friend to be associated with.

The diction of the book are quite simple and easy to comprehend; its mood is pleasant and humorous. I didn't observe any grammatical or typographical error, which shows that much effort was put in to ensure that the work was well edited.

The work possesses no climax, as it keeps rotating around the vicious circle of Randy's repetitive actions. He always ends up doing the same thing over and over again, with very minute or no noticeable difference. All the ladies in this work, with the exception of Nicky's sisters' and mother, are portrayed as wanton and not being able to control themselves at the sight of Randy. This highlights romance and relationship as one of the themes in the work. However, I would say that the book doesn't belong to the romance genre. Though some sub-plots were employed to portray romance, I won't recommend this book to one who desires a purely romance novel.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, basically because it highlights the adventures of a young man and his struggles to earn a decent living. Right from the inception I was captivated and deeply engrossed, determined to complete this reading in the shortest possible time. The book has a good sense of humor, leaving you with a broad smile at the end of each page. I highly recommend this book to readers within Randy's age bracket, early adulthood, mostly because they would easily sideline themselves and appreciate his struggles and successes.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Delioness's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”