Review by dtb -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by dtb -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by dtb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway tells the coming-of-age story of Alex Fine. He grew up in an orphanage under the care and guidance of Ms. Jenkins. Occasionally placed in foster care and hoping for adoption Alex was always disappointed. He realized that education was the key to having control over his future. Being a clever and dedicated student, he earned a scholarship to Stanford. Meanwhile, in an exciting discovery, Alex learns that he can travel through the internet and that he can read, store, and analyze enormous amounts of data in his mind.

Unable to resist the temptations of the internet, Alex declines the scholarship and proceeds to test his powers. He travels the world meddling in the affairs of criminal gangs, fraudulent banks, and Russian oligarchs. Believing himself akin to a modern-day Robin Hood, Alex steals from the criminal rich to give to the poor. He also enriches himself with nearly unlimited funds. While learning to understand and control his new powers Alex lives independently for the first time. Thus, this coming-of-age story is also the origin story of an aspiring superhero in the making.

Superhighway is an exciting book with a quick pace. It explores interesting ideas about internet security and privacy in a time when neither is assured. Fayman gives readers a protagonist with a unique and timely superpower. The explanations for the workings and development of Alex's superpower make it easy to accept the wide-traveling exhilarating plot that unfolds.

Alex Fine is a smart and head-strong character. He has an insatiable hunger for food that is a result of the physical energy required to travel through the internet, but Alex also has a hunger that can’t be satisfied with things or food. At times I found myself frustrated by his attitudes and decisions. He doesn’t demonstrate true loyalty to people, although he helps them financially. I had to remind myself of his age and that as an orphan, he is still learning how to form healthy relationships with people.

I think Superhighway would be enjoyed most by fans of science fiction and fantasy and by those interested in the unintended consequences of technology. There are brief descriptions of sex, drug use, and violence. It will not be appropriate for all young readers or those who are bothered by those types of topics.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Superhighway is certainly entertaining, and the premise of the story is original. Fayman's writing is good, although some dialog is strikingly formal. I wanted the primary female characters in the book to be more fully developed because they inform Alex's important decisions and motives. Nevertheless, Fayman has done a great job of setting the stage for an exciting series. It will be interesting to see how Alex Fine matures as a character and where he and the internet will take readers next.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like dtb's review? Post a comment saying so!
dtb

Post by dtb »

I'd love to hear what you think of my review or this book. Please leave a comment.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Nice review. You made some pretty good comments, in particular, that the female lead could have been a little more fleshed out. Thanks for sharing.
dtb

Post by dtb »

Jaime Lync wrote: 26 May 2018, 01:03 Nice review. You made some pretty good comments, in particular, that the female lead could have been a little more fleshed out. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for taking so much time to comment on my reviews. I really appreciate it.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

Great review! That's a pretty unique concept for a story.
dtb

Post by dtb »

Brittany J wrote: 26 May 2018, 08:50 Great review! That's a pretty unique concept for a story.
I agree it is unique.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”