Review by kerricellis -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kerricellis
Currently Reading: Before We Were Yours
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerricellis.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by kerricellis -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by kerricellis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You You Were Naked? by retired Presbyterian minister William E. Combs, begins in the Garden of Eden and snakes its way through the Bible, to the recorded history of Jesus and His disciples, and beyond. Combs leads us to familiar places and familiar faces, but describes the landscapes and customs, even the vegetation, in great detail, giving those of us who aren’t Bible scholars a more detailed landscape for these stories to develop on. He takes what we know about the characters from the Bible and creates more complex personalities and dialogue, giving the reader a deeper connection and intimacy with people many of us have been reading about since we were children. Combs’ tenderness and sincerity, his love of scripture, are evident throughout the book. He includes personal stories of his wife, his ministry and his own encounters with, and visions of, God.

This book is also a study guide. Each section ends with a list of questions that invite thoughtful discussion. It’s perfect for a book club or church group. There are scriptural references throughout the text, and Combs takes a closer look at many of the words and phrases and their full meaning, giving the reader a richer and more accurate view of many familiar chapters and verses.

When I first opened the book, I was honestly a bit disappointed, because it appeared to be an instructional book rather than a story-telling book. Don’t let that stop you! The book immediately drops you smack into the middle of the Garden of Eden, and you follow Adam as he walks with God, explores his new surroundings and has his first meeting with Eve. The writing is playful at times, and very serious at others, but it draws you along and answers questions we’ve all asked ourselves, like “Why would God put that tree there in the first place?”

Combs writes about Cain and Abel, and imagines a story that could explain why Cain would snap and murder his own brother. Why such an overreaction? We meet new characters who put faces on some of those people in the crowds following Jesus. Combs’ stories are all based on scripture. His explanations are interesting, and even if you disagree with his take on the Bible, there is a lot of food for thought. However, readers who believe everything in the Bible is literal may not enjoy his expanding on many of the stories, even if he’s not questioning their inherent - or in errant! - truth.

I enjoyed the book, and I’m not someone who enjoys study books or devotionals. The stories were interesting, and I enjoyed the author’s insights on scripture. His writing is heart-felt. He never comes across as preachy or self-righteous. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kerricellis's review? Post a comment saying so!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Very cool! Definitely something different and I wouldn't normally read but sounds like something to add to my list. I appreciate your review!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Very interesting book. I appreciate the fact that this book is thoroughly reviewed, heightening important aspect of creation. Great review!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

This book is amazing, The topics are well structured and well explained through vignettes for further identification of the character portrayed. Great review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”