Review by cozark38 -- The Devil Take Tomorrow

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Review by cozark38 -- The Devil Take Tomorrow

Post by cozark38 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Devil Take Tomorrow" by Gretchen Jeannette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gretchen Jeannette creates the perfect balance of facts and entertainment in The Devil Take Tomorrow. This factual blend of events from an integral part of our country's history was astounding.

In this time of longing for freedom and fighting for the same, Ethan meets Maddie and sparks fly. A love is born in a time of horrific events that forged the nation we are today. On opposite sides of belief, but with equal passion, Ethan and Maddie share struggles to overcome the ravages of war.

Americans are fighting to be relinquished from the grasp of England's rule. Philadelphia is a busy place with spies, traitors, and patriots, some wearing blue, some wearing red, and most equally determined in their mission and loyalty.

The story is not just a depiction of difficulties that occur in war. It is from multiple viewpoints of actual participants. I am impressed with the balance of how the author manages to convey the feelings of the American soldiers and also the British soldiers. She uses factual information but includes so many details, I feel as though I am there.

The story has many individual characters, as one would expect, as well as groups of individuals. There is a cleverness of the way the story flows allowing the reader to keep track of each character and group, yet keeps you in suspense. You are never sure if this story will have a happy ending or if the characters will fall victim to wartime activities.

For any person who enjoys American history, this is definitely a story for you. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I am delighted, sad, and quite surprised to find a story that is graphic in the details of sordid events, yet gives me more understanding in the justification and the sacrifice of each individual, whether from greed, love of power or necessity. I believe it may change biases of some people.

Most people are aware of this long-enduring battle, but experiencing it from this personal level is unique. I like the fact that the author did not limit the story to people filled only with hatred merely because they see the wrong color of the uniform. In every war, I believe there is an element of recognizing that even those you are fighting are human beings. Some are forced into battle. Some do it out of love for their country, and some enjoy it. Friendship and kindness happen in the worst of times, but these friendships often cause the greatest sadness.

You can't judge a book by its cover. This is the perfect description of the characters in this book. You never know who is around the corner or beside you, but you should read it and find out.

The Devil Take Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like cozark38's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It takes a special talent for writers to put you into the book and transport the reader back in time. Some of the descriptions may seem strong, but it reminds us of what people were willing to do to gain freedom and secure it for further generations. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”