Review by shradha98 -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shradha98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shradha98.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by shradha98 -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by shradha98 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murder in Memory" by Mike Thorne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murder in memory is a murder mystery with all the twists and turns. There is an air of suspense all through the story. The readers feel the eagerness of what happened next all through the plot.

The story is rooted to a campus of southern college where a murderer resides. The story starts with a dark night scene where the unrevealed murderer hides himself in the bushes outside the library and quickly despatches student Heather Conley. Later he does the same thing to other students.

Then this murder case falls into the hands of Grady Noland, the town's police chief. He is capable enough for the case.

Other characters of the story are Jon Evans,a monsy English professor, his wife, Davis and Dr. Henry Andrews, the college psychologist who is the central character of the plot. The reader is attacked with questions like who the culprit is? There are very less clues and more suspects. Everyone just wants this thing to go away.

There are various subplots as well like that of Evans marital life. Jon Evans marriage is going through a very rocky path. His wife, Davis begins an affair with a cop David Parker. Soon they are meeting at his trailer for ' lunch '.

With all this going on, in the midway, the reader finds out who the true culprit is. His identity is revealed. But of course, Grady is still in the dark though he is beginning to doubt that Jon is the murderer. Jon manages to become a default suspect mainly due to Davis' implications.

Dr. Andrews had been suffering from prolonged headaches and he used to murder in order to get relief out of this pain. But he was afraid of the consequences if he got caught. So he used his experience and hypnotized his patient Jon Evans to plant false memories in his mind of the incidents he had never committed.

The plot is based on hypnosis which Dr. Andrews is very good to adept and Jon fell an easy prey because of his messy life as this technique helps him a lot to get peace amid this messy background. Dr Andrews uses his knowledge of hypnosis and indulges Jon in the murder case.

But soon Grady starts trying to joint the broken pieces of this murder mystery to reach the truth.

The story has a good set up and Thorne has provided good twists. There are very rare whodunit where the culprit is already known. But even though we know who the culprit is, the story keeps us in the flow and didn't let the interest to break down. The story keeps the reader binding to itself.

Does Grady catch Dr Andrews?? Is Jon saved from being guilty?? Does he get to know the truth?? Who gets the punishment?? How does Grady solve the mystery?? This is all you will have to wait for.

Unlike most mystery, there is perfect blend of suspense, action and drama. Nothing overtakes the other.

The author has used his experience of being a psychologist. The story has been told very nicely and all the details
are properly laid down by the author. I liked his way of describing the plot.
With everything in place, the ending didn't did justice with the whole plot. I really didn't feel satisfied with it.

All in all it was good. I would like to give it 3 out of 4 stars because of its end. I would surely recommend it to others who are looking for a fresh plot of murder mystery. I enjoyed it myself and I am really not going to regret reading it.

Murder in Memory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like shradha98's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sounds like a great thriller. The author seems to keep you interested even after revealing the culprit. Thanks for an interesting review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”