Review by Sanyesto -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Review by Sanyesto -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Sanyesto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden by William E. Combs is a very enticing read. The reader begins the story in a very fashioned way. This is by introducing himself to us and how he encountered a very special light which gave him an inner insight to look at things in a more religious and deeper way. This is true to his own word in the very own introduction and I quote "What a difference between a wee penlight and the splendor of the aurora borealis!" End quote.

This book generally explains the happenings of the first few chapters of the Genesis book of the Bible. The author brings to light what led Adam and Eve into being beguiled to eating the forbidden fruit hence the origin of sin into mankind. The author not only stops at that point but also walks with you all the way educating you on how to be freed from this original sin and that through the faith of salvation brought to us in the death of Jesus Christ, we can finally be bestowed God's rest.

From the above summary of the book, it definitely goes without saying that this is a non-fiction and a Christian spiritual book. This might have been obvious to decipher for everyone familiar with the story of Adam and Eve. The writer does well to correlate the origin of sin in the Old Testament and goes on to use the passages from the Gospel to explain how we can, through faith, live a sin-free life. This already shows that the author is well informed of the scripture.

The book is formidably written and the inclusion of the Bible passages along with explanations was well thought. This is of importance as it gives ample time for the reader to follow through without any difficulties. Another point of interest I observed was the use of word picture by the author in most of the pages. I find this interesting as it helps to emphasize some of the teachings being relayed down. Furthermore, the book is made livelier by the author's personal testimonials as they also help you to relate to what he is actually discussing. The author also does a good job in including study questions at the end of each topic which can be used to meditate on what the topic was talking about. The endnotes in the latter stages of the book were also well thought by the author as it gives reference points for each topic and also the writer continues to give further pieces of advice and his personal life stories through them.

The only personal flaw I saw in this book was in chapter 10 when the writer gives some theological points of view on why the word sin was never used in the prior stages of the Old Testament Bible. I found this of much less importance to any reader who may have little or no knowledge of theological studies. However, this is not enough of a reason that will distract me from rating this book at 4 out of 4 stars. I also never experienced any major grammatical errors that would deter the flow of the story. It goes without saying that this book will be more appealing to Christians who love reading the bible and finding more refreshing inner meanings to the words in it.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sanyesto's review? Post a comment saying so!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This book was interesting to read, chapter 5 happens to be my favourite. The extent to which and how he described faith was eye opening. i also rated the book 4 out of 4. thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”