Review by Laura Ungureanu -- Illustrated Short Fiction o...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Review by Laura Ungureanu -- Illustrated Short Fiction o...

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles is a collection of 33 short stories, two graphic novels and a novella called Sister Carrie. Each story is accompanied by a beautiful picture that has a nice connection to the plot of the stories. The book begins with a tale about a baby with a special case and how the family deals with it. Among the stories, the major subjects are marriage, family, death, love, money and a lot more. It all ends with the novella Sister Carrie. The novella was a about a young teenage girl and her need for a family and for love. The graphic novels are called Homunculus and Reddog, and are short stories previously told in the book that are now brought back with some color.

Imagine a circus dwarf with a heart full of love, a betrayed husband at his wife’s funeral, a beautiful Amish girl who falls in love for the first time, or a black pianist in a racist world. Those are just a few of the stories I liked, but they make a good idea of what this book is about. I think the main subject here is the human psychology. The stories capture a character’s problem and it shows us how he deals with it. A lot of characters have handicaps, like being a dwarf or the sad story about the cart boy. But sometimes, the handicap is not theirs. The world is handicapped, making them feel miserable about who they are and taking advantage of their problems. The book illustrates this point merciless, showing exactly how hard it is to fit when you are different.

The important thing in every story is that everyone has problems, handicaps, psychopathic traits, or simple needs that turn into a complicated plot. Almost all the stories are centered around some love interest for the main character, but the love stories sometimes are twisted and dark. Human’s worst traits are brought to light. They kill, they cheat, they hate. Broken people experience some situations that keep the reader breathless, wanting for more. The stories seem unconcluded for the tension they bring, it feels like it is only the beginning of a character’s problem. The characters and plots are very diverse, going from dwarfs to hitchhikers and so on.

Religion had a major accent in this book. Almost all the characters had some connection with religion, directly or through their loved ones. The novella at the end also contains a big religious subject. I guess the characters must have some redeeming quality, or something to hold on, like faith. It plays an important role in the human mind, and the author doesn’t ignore that. Although religion might be something very personal to the author.

I rate Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 2 out of 4 stars. The numerous grammar mistakes forced me to take a star from the rating. I took another star because the book was too dark for my taste. It didn’t make me feel good, emotionally speaking. The sadness everywhere was too much, but I guess there are a lot of people who enjoy this kind of stories. I do not recommend this book for the lighthearted people like me, but I acknowledge the value of the stories despite their darkness.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Laura Ungureanu's review? Post a comment saying so!
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

Thanks for the insightful review. I think this collection of short stories sounds like it might be worth checking out, despite your rating.
I understand what you mean about the stories seeming like they don't conclude. After years of reading novels, I find when I dabble in short stories, they all seem to end with startling abruptness.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Having read this anthology as well, I agree that it's not for the fainthearted. I might have enjoyed it more as I am into these sorts of books, but I understand that the author's style may not really appeal to everyone. You've also discussed the connection on religion and the tendency for the characters' to have handicaps which I failed to notice before.

Thanks for this great review :)
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm with you on dark subject matter. Sometimes you just want to smile a little :) This book does sound quite heavy though, and it seems that the stories all meld together a bit. Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed it!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I definitely understand the issue with the darkness of the book. It seems that there is a lot of darkness in the world around us, so sometimes showing that in writing is too much. Thanks for the insight on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I was looking for a review of this book before I started reading it! Thank you for writing this!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

i think there's potential for confusion here, as there's a very famous book called Sister Carrie - it's surprising how many books have identical or very similar titles, actually. I'm not a huge fan of dark stuff, so I may leave this for now. Hope your next one is jollier.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”