Review by kdstrack -- The Devil Take Tomorrow

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- The Devil Take Tomorrow

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Devil Take Tomorrow" by Gretchen Jeannette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Devil Take Tomorrow by Gretchen Jeannette is a historical romance set in the time of the American Revolutionary War.

Ethan Matlock works for Mr. Robert Sinclair, a British Loyalist. He has been tasked with ferreting out spies for the British. Maddie Graves is the ward of Mr. Sinclair. She is sympathetic toward the Americans. She takes great risks to further the cause of the rebels. But all is not as it seems. Both armies are rife with spies. Are Ethan and Maddie truly whom they claim to be? Where do their true loyalties lie?

While Ethan is working for Sinclair, he falls in love with Maddie. Is this true love? Are they both simply using each other to ferret out information for their cause? Who can be trusted?

The plot develops the idea of an assassination attempt, by the British, on General Washington. This plot is carried forward by steadily increasing the suspense as more characters are introduced and the situation becomes more complicated. The third person omniscient point of view allows readers to draw conclusions as to which characters are revealing their true identity. All this makes for a mood of drama and mystery.

I felt that the pacing of the story was very well done. The doubt created around the different characters and their true loyalties piques the interest. The romance that develops between Ethan and Maddie is also tender, producing a fine balance with the suspense of the spies and their activities. The author draws you into her writing and makes you want to keep reading to discover the true spies and whether the romance will develop or fail.

The descriptions of Philadelphia and Valley Forge are clear and accurate. The living conditions of the Continental soldiers and their dedication to the cause, in spite of harsh conditions, are superbly portrayed. The reader is also reminded of the medical conditions of this time period. Gunshot wounds and other injuries were treated with the few medications available at the time. Infection and death were frequent and expected.

The only minor point that I found confusing was the relationship between Robert and Maddie. I wondered about his initial treatment of her and the change in his behavior later on.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The writing was interesting and accurate. It was refreshing to read a well-edited text with very few spelling or grammar errors. Readers who enjoy historical romance will be enthralled with this book. The author has done an excellent job of researching the time period and this comes through in her writing.

The Devil Take Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

This is sounds like a book I'd love to read. I'm not quite fond of romantic relationships with no proper development, but the dynamics of the relationship between Ethan and Maddie seems really intriguing. Stories set in historical wars also tend to pick my interest. I'll probably check out this book later.

Thanks for a great review :)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

jvez wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 19:20 This is sounds like a book I'd love to read. I'm not quite fond of romantic relationships with no proper development, but the dynamics of the relationship between Ethan and Maddie seems really intriguing. Stories set in historical wars also tend to pick my interest. I'll probably check out this book later.

Thanks for a great review :)
The writer does a great job of creating intrigue while remaining faithful to historical events. Hope you enjoy it!
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I'm very interested in this novel, as a lover of historical fiction who has been looking for a novel about the American Revolution. Do you think that the time period was well-depicted?
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Irene C wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 20:39 I'm very interested in this novel, as a lover of historical fiction who has been looking for a novel about the American Revolution. Do you think that the time period was well-depicted?
Yes. It is obvious that the author has done a great deal of research before writing. I think this book is perfect for you if you have a special interest in the American Revolution.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”