Review by teacherjh -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Review by teacherjh -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anyone who spent their childhood years going to Sunday school is very familiar with the story of Adam and Eve in Genesis, the first book of the Bible. It’s even common knowledge for non-churchgoers, so much so that it might be surprising that an author could spend a whole book discussing it. Nevertheless, William E. Combs, the author of Who Told You That You Were Naked, successfully does just that. He describes his writing as an effort to focus intently on the Old Testament and draw deeper understanding from it.

The book starts out retelling the events surrounding Adam and Eve's creation. The author uses a first-person narrative snapshot to show the reader how Adam might have described the garden of Eden. These short stories, found throughout the book, are a very effective way to help the reader identify with a story which involves history and culture that are different from theirs.

In this first chapter as well as throughout the book, Mr. Combs draws out deep theological points that many a churchgoer may never have thought about. For instance, he discusses how God would have known that none of the animals would be an adequate mate for Adam, but he assigned the task of naming all of them so that Adam could come to this realization himself. Later he points out the fact that Adam and Eve did not realize their sin or their nakedness until they saw each other. This is attributed to the theory that their shame came from comparing themselves to each other and feeling inadequate. Until that moment they were in a pure relationship with no doubts. Later Cain killed Abel for the same reason – he felt that he was less than his brother and could never be worthwhile. This concept of sin as not a list of negative behaviors, but instead an internal attitude mainly triggered by feelings of inadequacy, is developed through the book. I appreciated his theory that modern man still struggles with this and tries to ‘cover’ himself with wealth, education, power, or even religion without realizing that the true deliverance is found in faith and surrender to God.

This book far exceeded my expectations. I enjoyed how the author moved easily from scripture to story to theology throughout the book. Even the stories, although technically historical fiction, were well researched and based on facts. I’ll never forget his explanation of how much discomfort fig leaves can cause a person’s skin. Each chapter also has discussion/thinking questions at the end. I was pleased that these were not simple, fill-in-the-blanks type questions. They went beyond the scripture and even beyond his own discussion. I was also impressed with his referring to the original Biblical language and pointing out the challenges of translation.

I did feel that the last chapter was a little deep and perhaps difficult for the non-theologian to understand. Nevertheless, the majority of the book was intellectual but well explained. I did not find any grammatical or editing errors. I am therefore giving it 4 out of 4 stars. I would highly recommend this book to anyone wanting a deeper look into the early stories of the Bible.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Great review :) I am nor one for theological books, but your review makes me feel I should give this book a shot. The concept of sin as something that springs from one's own insecurities is something that really picked my interest. I want to know how the author expounds that.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I like your review and I have read the same book too. I also found more information than I expected. I agree that chapter 10 was a little more complex to understand and only theologians could.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Jackie Holycross

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to read my review.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

It sounds like the author provides a unique analysis of the beginning of the Old Testament that is written in an entertaining and easy-to-understand manner. The Bible can be baffling for so many people and it's great to have a those who have studied it provide deeper insights about the true meaning. For instances, whether a certain story in the Bible is meant to be literal or figurative. Thank you for the review. You did a great job.
Jackie Holycross

kfwilson6 wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 10:03 It sounds like the author provides a unique analysis of the beginning of the Old Testament that is written in an entertaining and easy-to-understand manner. The Bible can be baffling for so many people and it's great to have a those who have studied it provide deeper insights about the true meaning. For instances, whether a certain story in the Bible is meant to be literal or figurative. Thank you for the review. You did a great job.
Thanks for reading my review. It is interesting how the Bible is full of so many different types of literature and we so often get bogged down because we don't know the history or the culture.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

The book sounds quite deep but well explained. Thank you for an interesting review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

What a lovely review! I have yet to read this one, but it does sound like he brings up some very good points about God and Sin. Thanks for your take on it!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashley Louise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-louise.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ashley Louise »

Great review! I was considering reading this book but had been on the fence, but your review has definitely encouraged me to read it myself! Thanks for your take on this!
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Jackie Holycross

Thanks everyone for leaving me such positive comments.
rusalka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rusalka.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by rusalka »

This was a great review. I'll be honest, the book has been in my suggestions for a while now but I kept avoiding it ... might give it a try after all. Thanks! :)
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I am familiar with the stories in the Bible because I was Christian at birth and had Bible Study and Catechism classes way back in my elementary and high school years. There are a few differences between the Islamic and Christian explanations of the story of Adam and Eve in Genesis. I'll bypass reading this book. I am not interested to know the author's view on this topic. Thanks for the great review.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Great review. Not sure yet if I'll pick this book up or not. But your review has convinced me it would be worth it.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jackie Holycross

Dolor wrote: 02 May 2018, 09:18 I am familiar with the stories in the Bible because I was Christian at birth and had Bible Study and Catechism classes way back in my elementary and high school years. There are a few differences between the Islamic and Christian explanations of the story of Adam and Eve in Genesis. I'll bypass reading this book. I am not interested to know the author's view on this topic. Thanks for the great review.
I would be interested to hear the Islamic version of the story. Thanks for reading my review.
Jackie Holycross

AmySmiles wrote: 06 May 2018, 21:03 Great review. Not sure yet if I'll pick this book up or not. But your review has convinced me it would be worth it.
I liked it more than I thought I would. I hope you enjoy it also.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”