Review by karinapettway -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
karinapettway
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinapettway.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Review by karinapettway -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by karinapettway »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Caleb J. Boyer did a stellar job in writing this page turner, Island Games. Right from the beginning, best friends, Matthew and Ryan recognize that they are in a dire situation; they do not know where they are, how they got there and how will they get home. To find their way back home, their ultimate goal and staying alive their more pressing need, they soon learn it will take their wits and reliance on each other.

The settings and associated “games” include but are not limited to a diversely vegetated tropical jungle, an impromptu freezing winter blizzard and a scalding hot desert. Using the scarce tools provided the strength of their opposite personalities and sheer will Matthew and Ryan play the Island Games.

I thoroughly enjoyed the various settings. This added element gave the book excitement and made me wonder what challenges different temperatures or terrains would present Matthew and Ryan. I also enjoyed the speed at which the book took off. In Chapter 1, the boys were already on the island and headed to their first test. Sometimes authors spend too much time setting the stage, I like that Caleb got right to the point.

I did not like how the characters would think a thought and also say it aloud. The redundancy lessened the flow of the read. I also would have liked Caleb to build upon the Matthew and Ryan’s personalities, especially since their personalities were a big part of the storyline. Caleb made it obvious that Matthew and Ryan thought and behaved differently. I would have liked him to display these differences versus just telling me.

I give Island Games a 4 out of 4, especially since Caleb is such a young writer. If there were grammatical errors, they were minor because not a one comes to mind. I would have given Island Games a 3 if Caleb was older. I would expect a more mature writer to not have the redundancy problem that this book presented. Besides, that Island Games was a great read. Most importantly, the line between reality and fantasy is constantly blurred. Some aspects of Island Games add credence to the fact that this is a perfectly believable survival story. Simultaneously some of the settings, characters and even the way that Matthew and Ryan find nourishment test the limits of reality. Being a fan of both fiction and nonfiction, Island Games provided a healthy dose of both.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like karinapettway's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds intriguing. It reminds me of the show Survivor. I think my daughter would like this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”