Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Becoming the Dragon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Becoming the Dragon

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin, now available in English was initially a native Russian fantasy read released in 2010. It instantly became the top seller all over the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe countries. Becoming the Dragon is the first out of ten books in its Dragon Inside series. The Kindle edition cost $2.99, and the paperback cost $8.

Becoming the Dragon consists of 297 standard pages; the content is divided into five parts (an epilogue) with a book recommendation and a glossary to assist the reader’s reading experience. Becoming the Dragon is more of a young adult fantasy read; but there is also action plus adventure, the romance with the thriller kill in it to spice up the read.

The background of the story starts from a loving home to a sophisticated laboratory; from there to the lost world in the unknown wilderness, fight for survival, spicy romance and so on. The plot introduction looks out for the family and the environment the protagonist is enriched in, what he fancies and how he is different from others. The story address in a first person perspective in this plot the primary character is Andy.

Andy, a teenager whose life changed one day while he was on a field trip with his mates. This change left a profound effect that any electronic object he encounters will get electrocuted. He grows up to establishes a keen sense for cooking and a keener interest to archery. One day his father, Mr. Johnson asked for him when he was in the laboratory which was the turning point for Andy's life. His father’s experiment transported him to an unknown wilderness in which he had a close experience with the mythical creatures and magic that existed within. Throughout the torture and troubles that lurked within, he encountered life endangering experience; had a steamy romance with a local beauty and befriended a dragon. Andy learns about his true potential, but everything comes at a price!

The author displays a vivid imagination through his work, from teleportation to the games in the unknown wilderness. His writing style is very descriptive and friendly which makes it easy to grasp. There is no deep sexual content; thus, this book is a lot appropriate for young adult readers. The story line provides a good visualization while reading which is captivating and intriguing. The end noted on a cliff-hanger, it was rather encouraging than disappointing.

The plot has its profound moments like Andy becoming a dragon. I found the information about the type of bows and bow-strings used by different countries quite precise. Even though I have a very little knowledge about the type of gear used in archery. The detail information stated are very informative and impressive. There were new plot twists and unexpected turns in every chapter. Therefore, the possibility of guessing is very low. This plot reminded me of fantasy movies like the Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, Merlin and Spell Binder that support the content of the book.

The translation was up to perfection and concluded beautifully. It is so clean and clear that nothing was out-of-place. The author does not spoon-feed the reader’s imagination. There was a continuous flow which I found very effective in maintaining my interest towards the book. The protagonist Andy paints a realistic typical teen picture that anyone goes through in that phase of life. In this story, we could see how he stumbles and endure pain and emerge victoriously. Andy's development and maturity as a character are very impressive. I'm baffled! There wasn’t any part of this story that I did not like therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Any fantasy lover would genuinely enjoy this book!

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I liked The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit so I might enjoy this one. I also liked your review of this book; therefore, I will have it in mind. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra

Yolimari wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 08:50 I liked The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit so I might enjoy this one. I also liked your review of this book; therefore, I will have it in mind. Thanks for the review!
I'm glad you liked it. Thank you for commenting dear!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Merlin is my favorite movie. I have not seen all the episodes of The Lord of the Rings. I'll probably give myself a chance to read this book. Thanks for the detailed review.
Sahani Nimandra

Dolor wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 09:06 Merlin is my favorite movie. I have not seen all the episodes of The Lord of the Rings. I'll probably give myself a chance to read this book. Thanks for the detailed review.
Thank you for commenting Dolor! Ya I am sure you will like it.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Awesome review! And wow, a ten book series! Sounds like an encyclopedia. I like the concept but I don't want to read this and then have to struggle with the desire to read all the others and not have time/money for that. Once again, thanks for sharing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think it is interesting how you connect Andy's changing into a dragon with the changes of adolescence. As you write, young people would certainly identify with him. Very nice review.
Sahani Nimandra

Jaime Lync wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 15:01 Awesome review! And wow, a ten book series! Sounds like an encyclopedia. I like the concept but I don't want to read this and then have to struggle with the desire to read all the others and not have time/money for that. Once again, thanks for sharing.
That's the bad part about long series books. Too long to read and the financial issue. Thank you!
Sahani Nimandra

kdstrack wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 15:46 I think it is interesting how you connect Andy's changing into a dragon with the changes of adolescence. As you write, young people would certainly identify with him. Very nice review.
Actually yes, an adolescent can truly learn to grow in life if he sees the notable signs. A boy become a Dragon is a result of hard work been paid off. Thank you for commenting!
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

This is one of the books I wanted to read here but couldn't download due to an error. But thanks to your review I at least now have a background of the story. The plot with a mix of magic and lab experiments really seem interesting. And since you said it's similar to Lord of the Rings, I may choose to purchase this book instead. Thanks again for this review :)
Sahani Nimandra

jvez wrote: 03 May 2018, 03:23 This is one of the books I wanted to read here but couldn't download due to an error. But thanks to your review I at least now have a background of the story. The plot with a mix of magic and lab experiments really seem interesting. And since you said it's similar to Lord of the Rings, I may choose to purchase this book instead. Thanks again for this review :)
I'm glad you found my review quite resourceful, thank you for stoping by. I'm sure you will find this book quite a delight as much as I have.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I've been debating whether to read this one. Your review makes it sound really exciting. I think I'll go for it.
Sahani Nimandra

teacherjh wrote: 04 May 2018, 09:53 I've been debating whether to read this one. Your review makes it sound really exciting. I think I'll go for it.
I'm glad you found my review met your expectations. Thank you so much for stopping by!
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

Translating a story while preserving its flair, elegance and intrigue is never an easy task. From the review though, it seems this translation was a success.
Sahani Nimandra

Lu_rire wrote: 05 May 2018, 03:07 Translating a story while preserving its flair, elegance and intrigue is never an easy task. From the review though, it seems this translation was a success.
It was a great success, one of the best I have seen. If you are a fan of sci-fic, I can honestly recommend this book. After all no matter how great a book is it all depends on a persons taste. Thank you for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”