Review by AlexisMersino -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AlexisMersino
Currently Reading: King's Cage
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexismersino.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Review by AlexisMersino -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by AlexisMersino »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is a children’s story which follows the adventure of a curious cat named Puffy. Puffy ventures outside and into the forest where she strays quite far away from home. Here she encounters her “formidable foe” which is a new type of animal whom she has never experienced before. The black and white striped “kitty” turns out to be a skunk, and Puffy finds herself in a stinky situation. Puffy’s owner helps her to recover from the event, while Puffy vows to play closer to her neighborhood from now on.

This story was a quick and cute read but was also equipped with a good lesson. The main message of the book highlights on the danger of roaming far from home or from your parents and if you do, there is always the possibility of being hurt by a stranger. The idea of there being no place like home is also presented in this adorable tale.

There were many clever things that I enjoyed about this book. On one of the first pages, the book includes discussion topics and questions you can ask your child before or after reading the book. I have never seen anything like that before and thought that it was a neat idea to stimulate conversation. The illustrations in the book were also very unique. They resembled artwork that a child might draw, while still remaining well done. I think that children could definitely connect with the images and view them as similar to artwork that they may create themselves. While I can see some people not being a fan of the style of artwork, I really loved it. The illustrations did a great job conveying what was happening in the story as well.

This story had a rhyme scheme that I enjoyed. A few of the words seemed a little bit advanced for some children in my opinion. However, I think that this could be a positive thing as it could be a good learning experience and an opportunity to expand a child’s vocabulary. There are words that younger children may not be introduced to for a few years if it wasn’t for them reading this book. There were no errors or grammar issues that I noticed.

Overall, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. Puffy and the Formidable Foe was sweet and entertaining. My favorite part about this story is that I think it could be utilized as a great bonding experience between adult and child. Not only are the discussion questions included, but the fact that there are many learning words inside makes it a great read for a parent to tackle with their kids.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AlexisMersino's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”