Review by KrisCragun101 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KrisCragun101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kriscragun101.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by KrisCragun101 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by KrisCragun101 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world is more than it seems to the untrained eye. It is full of hidden threats, conspiracies, and creatures--that haunt our childhood stories--trying to cling to this world. And Haatim is about to learn how real these creatures are. Jobless and wallowing in his grief, he is met with a proposition to make a few bucks: follow a girl around and take some photographs. Easy enough right? What he is about to discover is that this simple task will throw him into a world with which he had no idea he coexisted. Though, lucky for him, he’s not alone in this crazy whirlwind of danger.

Abigail only has one thing on her mind: rescuing her mentor and adoptive father. She doesn’t remember much from the past few months after she had been possessed by a demon. Her training and skills mean nothing to The Council since the incident. They view her as broken and a risk. This causes her much frustration as she is sent on “busy work” missions. During one of these missions she runs into Haatim, who’s been tailing her for an easy paycheck. While completing her mission, an unwelcome turn of events throw the two into turmoil and now, whether she likes it or not, she’s stuck with him. But there is more to Haatim than either of them realize.

Raven’s Peak: World on Fire, Book 1 by author Lincoln Cole propels the reader into a world of chaos, secrets, death, and enough hope to keep pushing forward. The detailed descriptions he gives lets the reader really feel like they are right there with the characters. Right from the beginning he hooks the reader with a scene that is dark and damp. Opening with a character so lost in his own agony and grief, one finds themselves both repelled and drawn to him. Only enough information is given to draw the reader further into the pages of this book. There is definitely already some back story going on with many of the characters to which Cole gives clues here and there. Adding to the page turning to find out more of what is truly going on.

The story flows very well the entire way through. It does jump from the different perspectives of a few characters throughout, but mostly sticks with Abigail and Haatim. I find it relatable for the age group of the characters is close to my own. It also paints a very real picture of just how quickly anyone’s life can be changed. It’s not so far fetched to make it feel completely unrealistic. It makes you wonder what evil really lives in this world and, if that evil truly exists, who’s protecting us?

For my rating I give it a 4 out of 4 stars. This story is very well written with just enough action to keep the reader hooked. It does get a bit gorey in some areas though if someone watches PG-13+ rating of any TV show or movie it won’t bother them. The jumping between characters is easy to follow and stays in line with the flow of the story. If there is any skipping around of time periods the author makes it very clear how much time has passed while presenting the needed information to show where the story and characters are at. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good sci-fi fantasy.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KrisCragun101's review? Post a comment saying so!
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review. This sounds like a very plot-driven novel. Since I've now read some novels where multiple character perspectives aren't kept straight very easily, it's good to see that this one is, as you say, clearer and easy to keep track of.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”