Review by jo89220n -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Review by jo89220n -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches is quite literally what it sounds like. This book made me cry, scream, swoon, and everything in between. Anna Walters-Simmons has had her fair share of misfortunes in life, but she reaches a new low when she is betrayed beyond belief by the last person she expected. Rafe Brown is ex-army, returning to Australia to confront traumatizing betrayals and sufferings of his own. Finding comfort in one another, Heartaches is a story of love, pain, trust, and passion. With characters so real and authentic, this novel tugged on my heartstrings for sure.

In this first installment of a three-part series, HM Irwing explores the complexities of trusting relationships while acknowledging the ugly truths that we tend to brush under the rug. There is an openness about this novel that is extremely appealing. I immediately felt at home with the characters and was invested in the challenges they were facing. Not to mention, there is plenty of wit and steamy sex to keep it from feeling too dark.

Therefore, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the way the plot played out and I was on the edge of my seat for the duration of the novel. My favorite thing by far about this book was the vulnerability of its characters. Irwing uses the thoughts and dialogue of his characters, Anna in particular, to make cultural criticism and spread messages that the entire world needs to hear. These characters face real problems and Irwing’s portrayal of their efforts to overcome obstacles is both candid and moving.

Though I encountered a handful of grammatical and spelling errors, they in no way discouraged me from enjoying the book. If anything, my only real critique would be that some characters felt underdeveloped, Anna’s stepbrother for example. That is my only reasoning for giving the book a 3 rather than 4. However, there are two more books in the series and plenty of time to unravel my lingering questions. In fact, I’ve already downloaded a copy of the sequel and am anxiously awaiting a stable wifi connection so I can dive in.

I would recommend this novel to any fans of steamy romance, raw human emotion, and real-life hardship. It was both devastatingly honest and surprisingly unique, unlike most other books I’ve read. It does touch on some serious topics, so readers sensitive to sexual abuse or crude language may want to steer clear of this book. However, I highly recommend not letting that get in the way of experiencing all the wonderful things this book has to offer. Above all else, it is a story about healing and love.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jo89220n's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”