Review by Gishala1 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gishala1
Currently Reading: Finders Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gishala1.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Review by Gishala1 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Gishala1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants is a Young Adult full length mystery and adventure novel written by Caleb J. Boyer. It is important to note that this is not a standalone book and ends with a cliffhanger. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

The novel starts with childhood best friends Matthew and Ryan waking up on a deserted beach with no memory of how they got there in the first place and – other than somehow knowing who they are to each other – little recollection of the lives from which they were taken. They are left in the dark as to why they are there and how they’re supposed to get back home, wherever that is. They eventually surmise they are on an island inhabited with dangerous extra-terrestrial beasts and must conquer several “island games” as they traverse the different, and differing, quadrants before they’re allowed to leave. Throughout their journey, they never encounter any other humans, and so they learn the powers of relying on, and trusting in, each other and themselves, and of teamwork. Their adventure seemingly ends as they reach the summit of the one consistent landmark on the island but closes without divulging whether or not Matthew and Ryan made it out safely.

I will admit this book was a difficult read and tested my patience many times. I found the writing too juvenile and inconsistent for my tastes. Without divulging too much information I couldn’t reconcile several of the story arcs, primarily because most of the deductions and rationalizing the boys did was without interaction with, or information from, any kind of external force whatsoever. Besides this, the writer constantly repeated himself; one word might be used as many as six times on a single page, or one of the boys would “think” something and in the next sentence he tells the other boy the exact thought, word for word. There was many an eye roll.

Now, all that being said, I will also admit that I read the entire book thinking that this was written by an adult. Imagine my complete surprise when I got to the author’s About page to learn he was 12-years old at the time of publication! This changed my whole perception of the writing style and things made more sense to me (feel free to insert cliché here). It is impressive that this young man brought his story to life in his own way and I’m certain with guidance from a skilled editor he will do even greater things.

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants may not the book for me, but it may be just the right book and series for its intended age group which I estimate to be between 9-14 years old.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gishala1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”