Review by Nic13wendy -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nic13wendy
Currently Reading: This blessed earth
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nic13wendy.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by Nic13wendy -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Nic13wendy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden By William E. combs. This book is examining Adam and Eve and sin within the Bible and today. The author quotes scripture from the Bible and dissects it’s context. There are a few personal stories in the book that are relatable to the authors religious path and experiences with religion.

There were a few things I liked about the book. In the beginning the author tells the story of Adam before Eve. The version he tells is not in the Bible, but it is a beautiful and intriguing story. I also liked how he explained spiritual death. By Adam and Eve eating the fruit they disconnected themselves from the lord; they had evil in them. Also Williams personal experiences were enjoyable.

I disliked the introduction. I had to re-read it several times. I was confused on what the author was trying to say. There were several parts where I felt the author strayed away from what he was trying to say. There were many times he would quote the scripture and not explain it well enough. It left me confused. He also should of used some of his foot notes within the book.

What I liked most about the book was toward the end. The author says
“who told you that you need to be thinner, younger, healthier, prettier, more athletic, more intelligent, or who speaks with more confidence, or have a better sense of humor?; have a bigger home in a more upscale neighborhood, a more impressive job with a larger paycheck?”
The quote continues to asking why do we need these things. These things point to sin. I like that quote because this is how society is now. We focus on our looks and what we have. There is more to life than materialistic objects. What I disliked the most while reading the book, is it left me really confused. I am not a person that has read the whole bible and that knows that much about religion. I was hoping the book would give me a clear understanding of Adam, Eve and sin. Reading this book he used to many big words. I had to constantly check a dictionary. I felt like he was talking to someone that had studied the Bible for years versus a beginner.

I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars. I gave it this rating because it was hard for me to read and understand. I felt like he didn’t explain his topic well. This book left me saying “what?” most of the time. Someone that is more religious based may understand what this author is trying to say. Overall it was very confusing for me and I would not recommend this book to a beginner.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nic13wendy's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”